Fish Tank Design - any good?

Snip
From what I have seen of fish tanks the only thing supports the bottom is the plastic framing. Which I would recommend, if there are cross beams to make sure those are supported. But to support the actual glass, may not be a good idea. I don't know a lot about fish tank design, but I do recall that the bottoms were usually tempered glass, which I THINK makes them stronger, but more easily shattered (oxymoron?) that's why some can't bottom drill their tanks for sumps and must do it on the back.
Now if you are talking about putting an entire sheet of plywood across the top of the stand like a table top, then yeah, I'm with you as that's what I did. It looks better too, than having a hole in the middle.
Matt In Fenton wrote:

I prefer my tanks with a solid top just in case of spills. But what I do is put a sheet of 1/2" rigid foam insulation between the tank and the stand to absorb any irregularities.
If you look at the bottom of your tank you'll see that the glass is up off the stand by a fraction of an inch. It only touches anything when/if it sags.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Now that you mention that gap I *do* remember it. It's been awhile since I've seen a tank and even longer since I looked underneathe one. I ripped off the plastic on a 10 gallon one time, if I remember correctly the bottom actually sits up inside a little and the sides overrang the bottom a little.
Yes, table top style tank stands are great.
Never thought about the foam.
One thing amazes me though is how much weight is in there and the glass and silicone hold without falling apart.

Looks hell for stout.
RonB

Looks strong for sure. He also has no understanding of how those hinges are supposed to be installed. ;-)
Bob

The design will work, but is overkill.
I purchased a TV stand from a "naked furniture" place. I did modify this to add 1x6 oak wings to support the intended 90 gallon tank.
The main frame is 3/4 oak plywood.
The tank top is two 1x6 oak boards mortised into 1x3 oak ends.
If you want a picture send me an email.
My stand has been supporting the 90 gallon load for over 3 years.
Pressure treated lumber is not needed. I just used normal polyurethane and wipe up most spills.
Dave Paine.