Finishing Question

I build a lot of boxes. Materials used include red oak, poplar and pine. No problem with the hard woods BUT.

When finishing white pine with Minwax clear gloss polyurethane (oil base). The first coat obviously raises grain and requires light sanding and another coat. Now recently I have had to apply a third coat and still have spots that when looking across the glaze appear to have been missed. I know to use a sanding sealer before staining (no stain in this case). Suppose that would be a better seal than the poly?

Suggestions will be appreciated. Kenneth

Reply to
Digger

Digger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Raising the grain with water is a problem? Then a quick sanding, with fine paper, and you should be ok. Even if you DO want to mess up the project with Minwax...

;-)

Patriarch, not a fan of the yellow can...

Reply to
Patriarch

I agree about the yellow can. Are you saying to raise the grain with water then apply the poly? Minwax oil based poly is the same as several other brands so I have no problem with it. BTW the best tinted paste wax I have ever found is from England (can't remember the name at the moment) but their US distributer is in Memphis. Last time I bought a gallon was 80.00 but last forever. Kenneth

Reply to
Digger

I think he is saying that oil based finishes DO NOT raise the grain. Only water based finishes raise the grain.

With pine you should first go down with a sanding sealer so that the varnish does not soak in and give the blotchy spots you mention.

Reply to
Leon

Ahh, I appreciate that!

Reply to