FINISHING RED OAK, TUNG OIL AND WAX?

OK - first project finished. In Red oak. Applied two coats tung oil and it looks good. Been advised to wax it now with something like minwax finishing wax? Is this a good idea? can i reapply tung oil later as needed if I've waxed it? thanks... Mike.

Reply to
mike

Better suggestions might come if you indicate what you are looking for in a finish. The wax will basically give it "some" shine and very little protection. If you give it a satin or semi gloss varnish finish you will add protection with a similar shine to wax and not have to do any thing else to the piece.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:cb5Ff.7038$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

I'm looking for a finish I can easily repair, while it's not a 'high traffic' use I'm expecting it will get scratched, water marks and the like. Just want to be able to easily maintain it while it develops some character. Don't like stripping gloss poly each time I needed to repair a finish. Hence the tung, easy to apply for a klutz like me and great results. I'm not looking for a gloss finish so the tung oil with a little shine is about right. I was lead to understand teh wax would increase the protection from liquid marks.

Thanks for the reply.. mike.

Reply to
mike

I assume by Tung Oil you are referring to "Tung Oil Finish" sold by Minwax or the like. It isn't really tung oil as most will tell you here. It is really a wiping varnish.

I assume by "liquid marks" you mean those left by a cold glass on a humid day. IMHO the "tung oil finish"/wiping varnish should hold up fine.

If you are really referring to 100% Tung oil, I think you will get better protection from wiping varnish.

Reply to
stoutman

"stoutman" wrote in news:v26Ff.7091$ snipped-for-privacy@southeast.rr.com:

Thanks.. Correct in your assumptions except that, nope - I went out and bought 100% tung oil. So I would have been better to buy the polymerised/varnish type? I can apply that right over tung oil i presume.. What about the idea of waxing after the tung oil?

Thanks again..

Reply to
mike

To be completely honest I have never used 100% Tung Oil, only the "tung oil finish" sold by Minwax, which really isn't tung oil.. Although, I still like the results I obtain with their product. :)

Flexner states --->(from Understanding Wood Finishes) that in order to get decent water protection you need about 5-6 coats of tung oil, but it will not resist scratches very well.

I'm sure there are others in this group with experience using 100% tung oil that would be more helpful to you than myself.

I just wanted to check if you were actually using the real deal. :)

Reply to
stoutman

I have used wax over tung oil many times, on boxes and such that don't get much abuse. You can easily reapply wax if needed. However, tung oil is a penetrating oil that polymerizes when exposed to oxygen (air). If there is a wax coating, it won't penetrate when reapplied. If you need maximum wear resistance, try something like a floor finish.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

I have used (real) tung oil on cherry and red oak with excellent results and I've discovered that it is very easy to do some pretty major refinishing after the initial oil coats have been applied and have dried. After the initial coats had dried, I cut a kerf and added a miter key. I sanded the new miter key and the area of the finished wood around the key. After applying the same number of oil coats to the key and surrounding area, it all looks perfect, just like it had all been finished at once.

I like this finish of nothing but tung oil, rubbed with a little 0000 steel wool after the last coat dries. Very easy to repair.

Reply to
Billy Smith