Finishing "Hardwood" floor

Last weekend I sanded out and stained a 100+ year old straight grain Fir fl oor in a room about 12 x 12. I have some water based satin poly to lay down this weekend. Everything I read says use a pad. At Home Depot the best I c ould find was a 7" wide pad with a holder than can be attached to a typical roller pole. It has foam as a base like a typical foam brush which is cove red by about 1\4" thick pad of a micro fiber type material.

Anyone have experience doing this? Does this sound like the right equipment ?

It says can be recoated in 2 hours but no more than 2 coats a day. I am fig uring 2 coats on Saturday and another one or two on Sunday but I think I ne ed to scuff it before the Sunday coats which I am not looking forward to. P robably have to do that on my knees although I thought maybe using my drywa ll pole sander if I can find a fine enough grit.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I've used similar but not on floors. Mine is covered with a material sort of like plush?mohair/velvet...vertical fibers maybe 3/16 long, close together but not densly so. It works well.

There are similar commercial devices that are much wider.

Reply to
dadiOH

I used a lamb's wool pad. Worked well for me.

Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Same here . I used it w/ both shellac and oil based poly Works with both.

Reply to
woodchucker

Fir is not hardwood. I get a laugh from some TV shows where real estate agents take people around to look at houses. The dumb agent was telling her client that the house had pine hardwood floors.

Reply to
EXT

Yup, Fir is not a Hardwood. This is why I have "Hardwood" in quotes in the heading because calling it a Hardwood floor is much easier than saying "I h ave slats of straight grain Fir laid down on the floor of a house from wall to wall butted against each other and nailed down then sanded flat.

Also, Hardwood is really about the type of tree, broadleaf vs conifer and u sually denotes something about actual hardness but Southern White Pine is p retty fricken hard (I am told) and I know Poplar is nearly as soft as Pine but is indeed a hardwood.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

...as is Balsa (a hardwood).

Reply to
krw

Southern Yellow Pine, SYP is pretty fricken hard.

And to add, Basla is technically, by definition, a hardwood.

Reply to
Leon

the heading because calling it a Hardwood floor is much easier than saying "I have slats of straight grain Fir laid down on the floor of a house from wall to wall butted against each other and nailed down then sanded flat.

nd usually denotes something about actual hardness but Southern White Pine is pretty fricken hard (I am told) and I know Poplar is nearly as soft as P ine but is indeed a hardwood.

That's right SYP not white pine.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:22:10 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote :

floor in a room about 12 x 12. I have some water based satin poly to lay do wn this weekend. Everything I read says use a pad. At Home Depot the best I could find was a 7" wide pad with a holder than can be attached to a typic al roller pole. It has foam as a base like a typical foam brush which is co vered by about 1\4" thick pad of a micro fiber type material.

iguring 2 coats on Saturday and another one or two on Sunday but I think I need to scuff it before the Sunday coats which I am not looking forward to. Probably have to do that on my knees although I thought maybe using my dry wall pole sander if I can find a fine enough grit.

Follow\Update.

I used Rustoleum Pro Finisher water based polyurethane from Home Depot. Use d the 7" wide micro fiber applicator screwed onto a pole. The applicator ha d a little hinge to it so it made it real easy to use.

The finish was great top work with. No smell, I just washed it on and kind of scrubbed it in then did a smooth pass to flatten and even it out. Stayed totally open so you could rework for a few minutes in the same spot no pro b. I had 2 1/2" wide flooring and did 6 slats at a time about a 3 foot sect ion per dip in the pan. Did two coats of satin and it looks great.

No idea how durable but actually not too worried as it is a distressed look anyway with 100+ years of "character" anyway.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com