Finishing oak hardwood floor

We are in the final stages of finishing a kitchen addition on our home. Trim, plumbing, electric, etc is done and now my contractor wants to put one coat of oil polyurethane on the floor prior to the cabinets and appliances being installed. Once they are installed he will do the second coat. Are there any issues with this procedure. Will there be issues such as possible dust or debris that may be on the floor which might cause problems with the finish coat?

TomL

Reply to
TomL

I would hope he'd wipe it down before recoating.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

new water base products are superior for wear. For a kitchen 2 coats is not enough, more like 4 , Also oil darkens and yellows

Reply to
mark Ransley

It depends on the method of finishing the floor. The system used by my installer friend Adrien runs

  1. First coat: 6 hours to dry; then sand lightly;
  2. 2nd coat: 12 hours to dry; then sand again;
  3. 3rd coat: 24 hours to dry and another week to cure overall before you brush the surface with a broom. (Non-brush vacuum cleaner is OK.)

I doubt that you want to do without kitchen cupboards for a week while the floor cures. I doubt that you could get inevitable cupboard installation debris out of the floor finish. Better finish the floor last, when you are sure the whole extension is clean.

-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Mark, we opted for the oil based since the new room arches into our dining room and a hallway, both with oak hardwood finished in oil. However, I will discuss the need for additional coats with my GC. Thanks.

TomL

Reply to
TomL

Barry, I'm sure there will be some sort of 'wipe down' prior to second coat. My concern is for whatever is missed duringthe wipedown.

TomL

Reply to
TomL

I'd probably do it that way. The first coat will seal the wood against a lot of potential drips, drops, marks, etc. I'd probably put two coats, then finish with a third after the other stuff is installed.

There should be a good cleaning, maybe some sanding, before the final coat. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski