Hardwood floor is stained

My hardwood floor has an ugly dark stain (about the size of a soup bowl). I suppose it was caused by dog pee.

After study, I realize nothing short of refinishing the floor will remove the stain and return the floor to it's formerly pristine condition. However, due to circumstances it's quite inconvenient to have that done now.

Question for anyone who might know: If I just leave the stain, and not have it removed for the next couple of years, will it cause any further damage or deterioration to the floor? Over and above what already occured at the moment the stain occured?

TIA.

Reply to
Adam Lane

Peroxide-soaked paper towels, three layers or so, laid on the stain with little overlap will bleach the stain without harming the finish. No kidding.

Reply to
cybercat

A stain is not "alive" and can not grow. But, if the stain is due to a slow or intermittent leak it should not be ignored. Otherwise, treat it just like a stain on a table.

Reply to
Phisherman

-Thanks, Phisherman. I believe it was, indeed caused by an intermittent leak. However, fortunately the dog that had it has moved to a new residence now ;-) I was worried the urine might somehow decay the wood over time. But thanks for your advise to the contrary.

-I think that might work, cybercat. But I suppose after the stain removed, that area will no longer color match the rest of the floor.

Reply to
Adam Lane