hardest floor finish

We installed a maple hardwood floor several years ago, and picked maple for its hardness believing even our german shepherds wouldn't be able to scratch it. Well, several years later the floor looks like a skating rink, and we want to consider refinishing it.

Many of the deeper scratches do appear to be into the hardwood, but it did have 5-6 coats of finish (type unknown). Is there a hardwood finish that would be particularly hard enough to resist dog claws?

TIA :o)

Reply to
rarewolf

is this the fake hardwood laminate floor?

i understand the hardness is largely from the coating, fake floor is supposed to have the best.

my wife wanted to do the fake stuff and i refused we have 4 dogs, i believe their sharp nails would scratch it.

to scratch the wood the coating must already be worn thru

Reply to
hallerb

I'm certainly not an expert, but in my own floor travails, "the word" was water-based polyurethane *with a catalyst* for hardening, that is sposed to be very hard. 4 oz catalyst per gal poly. Altho I must say, the really gorgeous floors I've seen were always done in oil-based--but harder to work with.

I believe the polyurethane might be able to "fill" the scratches, so they are not so visible, sorta like wax on plastic--really on optical effect, but sure beats sanding. Maybe a combination of sanding/filling w/ poly.

5-6 coats of finish is pretty good, more than most, but I've heard from some floor guys that 10 coats--and more!-- is not unreasonable. Maybe instead of coats, they should start talking fractions of an inch!

But for animals claws, etc, you might want to search under "clear epoxies" and "floor", and see what that yields. Proly super super expensive, if it exists.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®