Finishing Driftwood

Hi, I am new to this group. I am happy to be here as I have read many posts and there seem to be many friendly and extremely knowledgable people. QUESTION: I have a piece of driftwood that has some sort of extraneous material on it. Something like dried coral and some other substance of which I know nothing. Can someone give me an idea as how to finish this? I would like to seal it.
Thanks,
River
Shellac comes to mind. Tom River wrote:

River wrote:

First of all, why seal it at all? What are you trying to protect it from? Does it really need it?
If you insist of some sort of finish, maybe to protect it from dirt a little but not change the appearance, then I'd use Renaissance Wax (not just any old wax polish).
If you don't mind it turning shiny, then a coat of blonde shellac