Finishing before cutting dadoes?

Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice and snug and the process is very quick.
The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes afterward. I had already planned to prefinish the pieces before assembly, but this would eliminate the need to mask (or otherwise avoid) the insides of the dadoes during the finishing process.
On 12/26/2012 2:32 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

You can prefinish before cutting the dado's but there is a chance that you will scratch the finish and if the edge need to be sanded at all you have to refinish. I would suggest finishing prior to assembly but not before completing all cuts.
Greg Guarino wrote:

NP, why would there be?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I try not to assume that I - by sheer force of intellect - can predict what will happen better than other (more experienced) people can *remember* what *did* happen. While it's nice to learn from your own mistakes, it's cheaper to learn from someone else's.

It varies with the project and finish. if you're going to pre-finish, it makes sense to do it to the point that you try to only do each step once.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

to mask the parts that fit into the dadoes. Glue wouldn't stick otherwise, would it?
On 12/26/2012 9:26 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

No ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net