FINISH: mission color on non- white oak

I am curious if anyone has come up with a good color match and/or technique to match the mission style color on woods that aren't necessarily quartersawn white oak.. I was thinking of using red oak (I know its not teh wood of choice, but i have alot).

I can spray or use pigment stains, i'm not too choosey, I'm just looking for a relativly close color, in saturation, and hue. So post your experiences and techniques!

Jeff

Reply to
spengler

Much "mission style" made around 1900 was ash, stained to look like oak. Some of this even had ray flake figure painted in, but labour costs must have been cheaper back then.

If you look at Fine Woodworking, their article on how to produce Craftsman-style finishes on oak with stains and dyes works just as well on ash,

Andy Dingley