Finish for trivets

I made some trivets for the wife to set hot dishes on. I have no clue what type of finish to use to protect the wood yet not get damaged by a hot dish set directly on it. The wood is maple/wenge or cherry/wenge. What would you suggest?

I used Tung oil on some Danish on others. Seems to hold up so far. Ed