Finish for Jake's Chairs

Over the past three years, I have made over 30 Jake's chairs and footstools, mostly using pine. I have made a few out of cedar and am currently finishing a couple. My question is what is the proper way to protect them? I know cedar is very long lasting but I was thinking that a polyurethane coating or two would be good.

Reply to
rile

Tough question. Quality Exterior paint will give the longest protection. Spar Varnish would probably be the next in line and or a protective exterior oil finish. Spar varnish may stick to your clothing and or always feel a bit tacky. Any clear finish will have to be reapplied every 2-3 years if the pieces are left out in the sun.

Reply to
Leon

Since you are using pine as your wood, latex paint would be the best choice. Poly is not going to hold up for any extended period and refinishing would be a big mess.

Stick with latex paint or switch over to white oak,cypress,teak,mahogany,etc,etc.

White oak would be a favorite.

rile wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I don't like using paint on outdoor furniture due to peeling and difficulty in touching up the piece. I prefer a clear UV penetrating wood sealer which lasts 3 years.

Reply to
Phisherman