Finish for a garden bench

I have just completed a garden bench and need to finish it in a suitable manner. It is built of a South American hardwood (extremely hard!) and is very light in colour. Lighter than maple.
I would like the grain of the wood to show through but would prefer a darker shade. It looks quite good when it is wet.
We live in Montreal so it will be exposed to strong sunlight and harsh winters.
I tried Sikkens Cetol 1re teak on a test piece. A one coat application looks OK but the recommended two coat application looks like plastic.
I would welcome any suggestions you may have. I would hate to create a plastic monstrosity. On the other hand I would not want to be finishing it again this time next year.
You can see a picture of the bench on the cover of Fine Woodworking No. 198 of June 2008.
Best regards, Jack Fearnley
On 5/17/2015 9:48 AM, Jack Fearnley wrote:

I've had good results with Penofin Oil, bad luck with Cetol.
On 5/17/2015 9:48 AM, Jack Fearnley wrote:

Ed Pawlowski replied
I've had good results with Penofin Oil, bad luck with Cetol.
Thanks Ed, I'll look into that. I guess that's an oil finish rather than a film/varnish finish? I think I would prefer an oil finish but am a bit confused about the alternatives.
Jack Fearnley
On 5/18/2015 4:25 PM, Jack Fearnley wrote:

Yes, it is oil. Easy to apply and pretty good UV protection.
I built a chaise lounge with cypress and painted it with Cetol. Couple of years later it was rotting away.
I do have a bench with Helmsman poly that is holding up well, but it is never in the sun.
Jack Fearnley wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- Check out Epifanes at Jamestown Distributors.
http://tinyurl.com/2drhdkb
Lew
On Mon, 18 May 2015 21:14:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks Ed and Lew. I have found a Montreal distributor for Penofin Oil, so I will look into that. Epifanes only seems to have one location in Canada and it's way north of Toronto.
Best Regards, Jack Fearnley
Jack Fearnley wrote:

Got to be at least one in Montreal.
Lew
Jack Fearnley wrote:

Got to be at least one in Montreal.
Lew ------------------------------------------------------------ Absolutely right! there's one within a mile of my place. I looked in and, sure enough, they stock Epifanes.
However, I think I'll pursue the oil alternative. Thanks anyway.
Jack