Finding wood

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to woodworking. I tinkered a lot during my high school years and some after. But now I've got my own garage (900 sq ft!) and have big plans. I've got the tools: table saw, band saw, work bench, etc., but I don't know where to look for the wood.

I know good wood supply sources are coveted by woodworkers, but can anyone give me some good ideas where to start my search. I'm in rural Virginia, near Richmond, and thought I would like to get some Oak to start with.

Suggestions? Anyone willing to give a direct source?

Thanks in advance, RK

Reply to
77clearly

I'm on the opposite end of the country but you might want to try here:

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

If you don't mind driving on I-64 Yukon Lumber in Norfolk has a good selection of material.

Closer to home in Richmond you could try the Woodcraft store.

will get you directions to the store. They would be likely to know what is available locally

Tigger

Reply to
Anthony VanCampen

I use earth recources in yorktown. He has a good selection of domestic hardwoods. Great prices too...Brian

757-898-0045 is the #. That is if you dont mind the drive.
Reply to
Brian in Hampton

RK,

I live in Richmond, and have bought my lumber from a few different places. First, pick up one of the trading posts that are sold in convenience stores. Occasionally you'll find some lumber being sold in the building supplies section.

As for retailers:

1) Plywood and plastics near the diamond has good prices, in general not super quality, ok selection in terms of species, but decent (you get what you pay for). Good selection of sheet goods though 2) Siewers - really good selection and great quality, but higher prices. For instance their walnut was about $1.50 higher/bf than plywood and plastics, but their quality was quite a bit better. 3) Northland Forest at Zion's Crossroads - call them and they'll fax you a pricelist (434) 589-8213. Their prices seem really good but I haven't bought from them so I can't comment on quality, etc. My van gets about 9 miles to the gallon so I'd really have to buy a lot of lumber from them to justify the cost of the drive (siewers and p&p are 5 minutes from my house whereas NF is about an hour).

Hope this helps,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Yancey

Sadly, I just moved away from southeast VA. I brought approximately 2000 bf of oak, cherry and poplar with me to Texas. My advice is to get to know a sawyer (I used a guy out of chesapeake who had a woodmizer, can't remember his name right now, but he is in the chesapeake phone book). You can either have them saw trees that you identify or he can let you know when he finds wood available. If you find a tree yourself and have it sawn, it will probably cost about 30-50 cents/bf. The sawyer can also help you judge whether a downed tree is worth milling.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp

The sawyer's name just came to me: Paul Garrity. He is active in Tidewater Woodworker's Guild.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp

I'm nowhere near you, but this might help.

bridger

For quality kiln-dried hardwoods, try

might be a bit of a drive for you (slightly northwest of Greensboro, NC, near the VA border) but he's treated me ok in the past, and the pricing on his website will at least give you an idea of the middle of the road market. No affiliation. Also, as someone suggested, try and get friendly with a mill or a sawyer, as green wood, if you have a place to sticker and dry it, in a few years gets dry, and the investment is worth it.

Mutt

Reply to
Mutt