Financial guidance needed

The topic of making money from hobby woodworking comes up here frequently. It got me thinking that I could take the money I've saved from making versus buying, and fund my retirement. I'll price out an item at retail, then buy everything I need and invest the difference.
This is what I've done so far:
Need new TV stand for new TV. Sells for $100 at the electronics mega store.
Wood $123.00 Hardware $32 Finish material $12
That makes a difference of -$67 Should I invest this in Enron, World Com or Imclone stock? How soon do you think I can retire? Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
lol. I'm sure if you get in touch with an Enron accountant, he can make it look good on paper.

Edwin, hand made and or custom wood pieces are not stamped out at a factory. They are built with pride and should be priced accordingly. You are not looking at the right level of customer if you are comparing your work to that of what comes in a box with assembly instructions. Take pride in what you build and find the type of customer that can afford his Champaign taste also. Assuming that you are American, give your customers a GOOD reason to buy American other than the limp ideology of buy American because you are American. ;~) .
AMEN ! Pride + Integrity + USA

Good point Leon. I was having trouble figuring out how to make the solid oak look like painted mdf anyway. Maybe I'll leave it natural. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Use a pore filler then top off with some tan spray paint.
Works great on walnut.
Well said Leon!
--
Rumpty

Hey, I think you've got a future on Wall Street. But here's a hint -- don't ask, ASSERT. TELL us how you are going to invest your ill-gotten booty, allude to the possibility that we might somehow profit, and add something about how it will fight terrorism. If you can demonstrate how many jobs will be downsized or shipped overseas, it will have a soothing effect on potential investors.
And don't give up your day job.
tt

YES ! ! ! Thanks for the encouragement. YOU can be a partner with me in this great venture. Send me your check today and we can invest in the future together. Ed
My "Check is in the Mail" - watch for it!
Call Ken Lay and tell him you are seriously considering getting "Layed"....
LOL!
Philski

Since double negatives make a positive, I'd think that if you invest a loss in a stock like Enron, you would end up with a healthy gain.
ex:// Your project doesn't make money, neither does Enron's stock, so together, you're making money!

How much can you invest?
Barry
Give the -$67 to George Bush for his re-election campaign. A man of his caliber will really appreciate it.

Ed, Design it out of particle board, cover in plastic look-a-like wood veneer, have it made in China, sell it to WALMART ot Ikea. You will make a fortune!

Didn,t you even hear of turning a negative into a positive.....

Anderson Consulting , that's the company that you need to help you ( the same way they helped enron, boston market , etc) If you try to make a living from woodworking , don't chose to make items you can buy in Walmart Sell quality, customize, a cardboard box could be used as a tv stand. Instead making and selling tv stands , make Home Theather Furniture
Somewhere I had a Magazine ,I think it was Wooden Boat , an thee was an article about somebody that made boats directly from trees with no power tools ( ok, only a big saw poweed by a car enginee to make planks) His name is Harry Bryan

Just so happens I'm having a special on Worldcom stock...send me the tv stand and I'll send you 100 shares.
BUT WAIT, THERE"S MORE!!! If you order in the next 20 minutes, you'll also get 100 shares of Enron absolutely free...
Limited supply so reply now!

You need to concentrate on the upper end of the market.
--
Rumpty