Finally got it done

Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that I th= ank all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enou= gh to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on h= is bicycle. He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medica= l care not the least of which was given by my bride. Yeah, I guess it's tr= ue you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it is, op= en for all comments....

again for the guidance

Jim

Reply to
jtpr

thank all. =A0Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good = enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck = on his bicycle. =A0He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent = medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. =A0Yeah, I guess= it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

open for all comments....

Exquisite in style and execution. Very nicely done. (Nope...can't find anything to bitch about)

Reply to
Robatoy

thank all. =A0Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good = enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck = on his bicycle. =A0He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent = medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. =A0Yeah, I guess= it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

open for all comments....

Guidance...? Damn, you should be giving lessons. Very sweet island and it fits very well with the rest of the house. What exactly is the counter top made from?

Glad to hear that your son's made a full recovery. Not too many people on bikes tangle with semis and break even.

RicodJour

Thank. The top is concrete. The sparkle is from the ground up sea shells. The drawer handles are boat cleats.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on his bicycle. He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

for all comments....

Outstanding, Jim. Beautiful unit, though I'm not too dippy about the color choice for the countertop. Are those ball bearing glides?

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

jtpr wrote in news:28869115.324.1317487674082.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqjw35:

Great job! And although not my color preference, that concrete does look nice!

Reply to
Han

Yep. Really nice! I'm a bit envious or your windows too.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The drawer handles are boat cleats.

The top is just painted with the sea shells mixed in?

Reply to
krw

Yeah, the color does not come across well in the pictures. It is actually a very deep red with a touch of black fleck. I think the camera flash alters it. It is a dye that is put in the concrete, not paint.

We live across the street from the water, so the windows maximize the view.

Jim

Reply to
jtpr

very deep red with a touch of black fleck. I think the camera flash alters it. It is a dye that is put in the concrete, not paint.

The flash brought out either some mica flecks or white flecks, too.

Nice, brightly lit house.

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Those flecks are actually ground up sea shells. I went with concrete becau= se it was the only thing I could get 2" thick without spending silly money.= I just felt that the style of the carcass needed something thick on top. = Anyway, that was more the brides decision then mine (as most things are).

Reply to
jtpr

Oh, it's one of those homes where the hubby "I just work here." Married life. I just don't understand it. ;)

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

it was the only thing I could get 2" thick without spending silly money. I just felt that the style of the carcass needed something thick on top. Anyway, that was more the brides decision then mine (as most things are).

I looks really nice, as is. I'd probably have done butcher block (though

1-3/4" is likely all I could get). Like you, my wife makes the decisions, but only off a list of possibilities. Sometimes the list is short. ;-)
Reply to
krw

Looks very nice. It is such a pleasure to see an island that is not a particle board monstrosity. Clean lines. Nice wood. Quality kitchen appliances. What is not to like?

Good job. Good on ya'.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

thank all. =A0Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good = enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck = on his bicycle. =A0He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent = medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. =A0Yeah, I guess= it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

open for all comments....

I happen to really like the colour of the island top. Pay NO attention to the old farts in here.

Reply to
Robatoy

thank all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on his bicycle. He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

for all comments....

I want to do a concrete counter top when I rebuild our kitchen. I might be pickin his brain a little.

Reply to
-MIKE-

There's a designer/builder in SF by the name of Cheng that wrote an excellent book on the topic.

RicodJour

Bold choice on the top material and color. You get extra points for that. Way better than any vanilla approach you could have used.

Question: Did you use floating tenons for the apron to leg joint? I see pins in both sides of the joint. One of my gripes with floating tenons is that unless you do pin both sides it does not have the same mechanical integrity asa pinned traditional M&T joint.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Cite please.

Reply to
Swingman

Shear strength of glue will be excellent for the apron-tenon joints.

Reply to
Father Haskell