Feit LED Shop Lights at Costco!

Page 2 of 3

Yep. I use 6500K tubes (both in my shop and the stupid kitchen fixture) because they put out so much more light.
I bought a similar unit at Sam's last week for $35. Had the same pleasant r esults you did and will replace the fluorescent units as they fail with the se LED devices. I never could understand why a ballast cost more than a who le new shop light but hopefully no more of those or the tubes. LED lighting also helped me with a reading light problem I've had for a while. The 60 w att bulb would heat the rotary switch and the plastic knob would not turn the threaded metal shaft that serves as the off on switch. Cooling the ligh t by unplugging would solve the problem but that was not much of a fix. Tri ed a $5 LED light and the no heat factor made the soft plastic switch probl em disappear. Now if I could only figure out how to keep my well tank/pump safe at sub 32 temperatures without using an incandescent reflector light.
-MIKE- wrote:

Does anyone know the MTBF (mean time between failures) of this type of light? I replaced nearly all my regular light bulbs in the house with screw-in fluorescents several years ago. PROs--It makes the greenies happy even though they all contain mercury vapor. CONs--They cost more, at least they did then. The MTBF is only slightly longer than with regular bulbs in my experience. The UV they emit fades pictures and fabrics much faster than incandescents. I doubt I save enough electricity to make up for the cost difference. The LEDs are a relatively new technology, but I have some decorative ones in the kitchen (on a high shelf around the ceiling). They DO eventually fail.
--
 GW Ross

 An eye for an eye will make the whole
On 3/11/15 9:14 AM, G. Ross wrote:

I don't know about their real-life failure rate because it's probably too early to tell on such a newer technology. In my experience LEDs are already proving to have many, many times the life of incandescent bulbs and so much longer than CFLs that it's worth the extra cost even if all others things were equal.... which they aren't.
Setting aside all the political reasons I have for disliking CFLs, almost everything else about them is terrible. Terrible light temps, slow start-ups, they seem to brighten and dim themselves, and much shorter life than rated for.
Hopefully, LEDs will start to take over due to all their obvious advantages. Once demand increases and manufacturing gets more efficient, the price will drop making them much more competitive with CFLs. Hopefully, the whole CFL industry will simply fade away like the light they produce.
--

-MIKE-

I've replaced all my incandescents and all CFLs with LED bulbs from costco. Indoor BR-30s for all the cans, globes in the bath, and a few A19's for tabletop fixtures. I also picked up one of the utility lights that you referred to above to use for task-lighting at the workbench (the shop itself is illuminated by 4 fixtures, each with 2x F96T12C50s and electronic ballasts). The F96T12s are power-hungry, so as 8' LED bulbs become available and _cost effective_, the fluorescents will be replaced. Probably with pendant mount LS series, similar to these (color temp 5k):
http://www.earthled.com/products/cree-ls8-8-foot-led-surface-mount-ambient-light-fixture-88w-8000-lumens
We have some similar to these at work; quite nice; but not cheap.
I'm very happy with the LED bulbs.
On 3/11/15 12:19 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

We have some similar to these at work; quite nice; but not cheap.

Several months ago I got a bunch of retrofit LED fixtures for all the can lights in out new place from Costco. Not only are they much lower wattage for brighter light, they are dimmable. They also installed in about 5 minutes each.
--

-MIKE-

The main problem I have found with led lights is the waste heat can be excessive, thought about that perhaps lighting needs a 12 volt ac system. As most leds drop only 1.2v to 1.5v depending upon color.
But what do I know.
Mark
One more hit on the cfl's is the bug light is just yellow. It doesn't repel bugs like the old bug lights and when the porch lights are turned on - no light to save a life.
I like the cfl flood light I put into the pantry. Always cool. Very bright. And the floods seem to light faster than other cfl.
I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders. There is ample light. Runs cool.
Martin
On 3/11/2015 10:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Speaking of bugs, we replaced incandescant bulbs with LEDs in one outdoor fixture. The second fixture (identical, about 20' away) had LEDs. The fixture with LEDs attract fewer bugs. I didn't count or anything, but the difference was plain to see.
LED lights aren't supposed to attract mosquitos, either, but I heard that on TV and you know you can't be wrong on TV...
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 3/12/2015 1:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

But wait! Act now, and you'll get twice as many...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/12/2015 1:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Now that you mention that.....I have noticed that there are little to no bugs that collect around our coach lights at our driveway. About a year ago I put in LED bulbs. I wonder too if it is not only the light but also the warmth that incandescent lights put out that may attract the critters.

On 3/11/2015 11:05 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

How did you cut them into thirds?

No need to make an cuts. You just multiplex them. When you walk down the hall, you bring a bulb with you. With two bulbs and three fixtures you don't have any darkness when moving the lights. ;-)
We move in and changed the stupid lights into something one can read and see on the walls. First we had normal bulbs of 40 watts, then 60 watts then 40 watt and an LED and now modern LED and modern LED in each with an effective 60 watt light with nominal wattage used.
Slowly going through the house. The library will be last as we have replacement bulbs already and will run through them first unless I need to make a heater box :-)
Martin
On 3/12/2015 6:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Just because one forgot to put 'each' -
2 bulbs each in three holders. 2 x 3 = 6.
One can cut them into 1/3 power easily :-)
Martin
On 3/12/2015 9:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, but who would take the cubed root of a light bulb?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I'm glad you asked about the MTBF! I unplugged a LED nite lite in the hall to get the make & model number for this post. It's been in continuous use since Oct 2009, I wrote the date on back w/sharpie so I could see how long it lasted. I say continuous use because after a couple of weeks of fast flickering during daylight, I painted over the tiny photocell with a dab of whiteout.
It's China made, 2 led (dim) 'Amertac 71190A'. Googling reveled it was recalled back in 2012 "Due to Fire and Burn Hazards"!
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2012/LED-Night-Lights-Recalled-by-AmerTac-Due-to-Fire-and-Burn-Hazards/
So THANK you! I'll be replacing it ASAP. But I must say, I've been pleased with it and impressed with its longevity, about 38K hours.
Well, dayum! No such lights at local Costco. I looked all over the store and finally asked someone. "Sometimes they have items online that we don't carry"
BAH! I did find an LED sentry light That I'll use to replace one on the shop that's disfunctional. ;-) Maybe I should re-word that. The shop is functional. The sentry light on it isn't.
On 3/11/15 5:26 PM, Max wrote:

Ahh, bummer. My local store ran out but they're getting a new shipment.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/9/2015 10:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Going to search these out. Even though I've had to stand too close to drummers for too many years, I've got some the 4' BORG fixtures that are humming B flat loud enough for me to hear them.
Thanks for the heads-up.