Fein knock-off from Dremel

I ran into the Dremel rep at the Borg today and he was touting a new Dremel Multi-Max. He was supposed to have one to demo, but they haven't shipped yet. Looks a lot like the Fein, with a $99 price tag. Here's the link in case anybody's interested:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=Multi-Max
Larry

Let's hope that their blades fit the real Fein.... and that they're as good as Fein's blades. A little competition is always nice.
R,
The Dremel blades will not fit the Fein. The Dremel is about a third smaller than the Fein MM.
cm
wrote:

Let's hope that their blades fit the real Fein.... and that they're as good as Fein's blades. A little competition is always nice.
cm wrote:

They won't. The mount is quite different. There are a couple of other competitors though.
If you want third-party blades, there's a sweat equity approach http://home.comcast.net/~dldecker/fein.html The fellow who came up with that approach is now selling his own blades for a bit less than the Fein prices http://www.multiblades.com /.
I'm not clear at all on which blades work with the Multimaster other than that the Bosch don't.
There are several other Multimaster clones around now though.
Rockwell/Worx is selling the "Sonicrafter/Sonicraft" (the same tools is sold under different names and brands). It will take Fein blades with an adapter, whether the reverse is true I don't know. Blades for it seem to be available only direct from the manufacturer, for about half the price of Fein.
Bosch is selling the "Multi-X", again it will take Fein blades with an adapter but I don't know if the reverse is true.
Harbor Freight has a knockoff 65700-0VGA for 50 bucks that looks like a straight copy of the Fein. They sell a blade kit 65979-0VGA for 5 bucks that's one saw blade and two scrapers. Again I don't know for sure if it fits the Fein.
--John
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:16:52 -0500, "J. Clarke"

There seems to be wide spread concern about whether Fein blades will fit the clones. Are the Fein blades so much better that almost everybody prefers them over the clone blades?
I know Fein makes a really good product, but are their accessories so much higher in quality that they're the only ones people will use?
snipped-for-privacy@no.com wrote:

There are two issues.
First, Fein makes a very wide range of attachments, not just saw blades, some of them for specialized purposes that may not be available from the manufacturers of the clones.
Second, the Fein blades are a known quantity--the clones are all new on the market and the quality of their blades have not yet been established.
--John
On Nov 16, 7:59am, snipped-for-privacy@no.com wrote:

Price is an issue. The Fein blades are very good, but expensive. The blades that I use most often come in 3-packs as well as singles and that saves a fair bit of money. So it is always sport to get the same quality of blades at a cheaper price. I sharpen the T-shaped metal/wood blades myself with adequate results. I also noticed that the Fein has a stronger motor.
As a countertop fabricator/installer/remover, the Fein is an essential tool. Period.

That's true. Six months on the market for the Dremel and I 'll finally be able to afford the fein.
--

-MIKE-

Well actually there is also the Proxon, (spelling) version, the Bosch version, and the Harbor Freight version. The Harbor Freight uses $5-$10 blades and the tool is about $40 IIRC.