Feasibility & cost of building a dining room table in 12 woodshop classes

Page 1 of 2
My local town adult education flyer came in for the winter session, offering 12 woodshop sessions for $200, which got me wondering.
Is it feasible to build a basic dining room table in 12 woodshop classes? How much would it cost?
Of course, the devil is in the details, so I just want to rough it out.
I realize the variability in cost of the wood could be huge. What's a decent dark'ish brown wood for a decent price for a dining room table?
The shape of the table would be either circular or rectangular with oval ends. Maybe five or eight feet long? (What's a basic size for seating four to six people?)
William Don**ly wrote:

I think the answer is yes if your instructor is intent on helping you do it. This guy will help you build one in one day for $385, materials included:
http://www.northwestlumberco.com/woodclass.htm

What is your woodworking background, William? If you have some experience, the answer would be maybe, but only if the instructor would allow it. Do ask first. Some classes revolve around a single project, others around multiple projects of varying complexity for each student. The instructor might make another class available for your table and have some the other students make chairs for it, who knows? Talk with the instructor (but don't let him bully you into staining a lighter wood. ;)

I think he might mean this type table, rather than a dining set, Bill. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/13588646_small-shaker-style-side-table

Bless you for avoiding stain. Dark wood with a clearcoat are a wonderful pair. Ask to see woods at your nearest hardwood lumber yard. They can steer you to a good wood at a bearable price. Some of the teak replacements are beautiful. My favorite finish is Waterlox Original, in satin.

How about 45 x 72 x 29" tall? Spacious enough for 6, comfy for 4. Anything wider is harder to reach across, especially for smaller women.
-- A human being must have occupation if he or she is not to become a nuisance to the world. -- Dorothy L. Sayers
We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters! -- Larry Jaques
On 12/10/2012 8:04 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes, I was just trying to make a point (with my example). You (obviously) provided the OP with good advice.
I think one of the best parts of taking a class would be the availability of good table saws, jointers and planers, hand planes, vises, and all of the other niceties!
Bill
On 12/9/2012 10:01 PM, Bill wrote:

In one day ONLY if the instructor is going to help you build an IKEA dining room table. From scratch, not a chance.

On 12/9/2012 10:01 PM, Bill wrote:

Thank you for not cross-posting, along with the old time wRec'ers, Leon and C_Less.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

WTF are you ragging about now, Karl?
-- A human being must have occupation if he or she is not to become a nuisance to the world. -- Dorothy L. Sayers
We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters! -- Larry Jaques

Thanking for not cross posting. If you have a problem with that, kiss my ass.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

I thought you'd found yet another thing to criticize me about. After finding out how you feel about me a few weeks ago, you can kiss my ass. I'd just as soon not hear anything from you again. Feel free to filter me, too.
-- A human being must have occupation if he or she is not to become a nuisance to the world. -- Dorothy L. Sayers
We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters! -- Larry Jaques
On 12/10/2012 6:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

And that coming from the #1 critic of any other finish but that which you deem suitable to your taste?
... go figure.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Criticizing poly finishes is not calling someone a google-fed airhead, asshole. Go fuck yourself.
-- A human being must have occupation if he or she is not to become a nuisance to the world. -- Dorothy L. Sayers
We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters! -- Larry Jaques
On 12/10/2012 11:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Thank gawd for tagline generators, eh Larry ... otherwise meaningful content would once again be nonexistent.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Further proof that you don't know a thing about me. I collect those signature quotes from things I read and from online quotations pages.
I feel sorry for you Cajun-Americans.
Thus ends any dialog between us.
-- There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. We are a nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities. We are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house. --Theodore Roosevelt
On 12/11/2012 12:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Much better than original thought, eh?

Your loss ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/11/2012 12:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Actually I think Swingman was paying you a complement on your tag lines....you know, the part of your posts that makes sense.

Get a room, you two.
Buh bye!
-- A human being must have occupation if he or she is not to become a nuisance to the world. -- Dorothy L. Sayers
We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters! -- Larry Jaques

no doubt you coud pick up a cheap one for little money at a scondhand store like goodwill......
making furniture is more about making something you can be proud of than making something cheap.
and just about any wood can be stained for whatever color you want..
if 12 weeks isnt enough, just spread it over 2 class groups
12 weeks plus 12 weeks.
years ago i got into reaupolstering furniture, with no sewing skills or heavy duty sewing machine i took the class multiple times and redid lots of furniture. ended up helping as a assistant teacher by the time i ran out of stuff to redo
On 12/9/2012 10:07 PM, William Don**ly wrote:

Wow! If you have a really good plan, a good instructor and adequate tools, it could be done (IMO). A round table with leaves is my favorite, and I'm shopping for one now. I had an antique 54" that once had leaves but I didn't have leaves. It seated six easily but we often seated eight...it was our only table and was in the large kitchen. Although it was veneer, it took a beating and I just refinished the top when it showed too much wear (baking, crafts, rolling out countless batches of PlaDoh, etc). Round tables with pedestal allow for more flexible seating because there are no legs to get in the way. A 48" table might fit better if not in a really spacious home....you can design in enough leaves to seat 20 if you want...the Amish make them that way :o)
If I was undertaking such a plan, I'd go for constructing the pedestal first (since I like round pedestal bases with hidden supports for when the table has leaves added). Then the apron and slider mechanism. Any fool can cut a circle :o) I would definitely get a look at what is in good furniture stores for familiarity, find good instructions and check with the instructor before proceeding. Let us know :o)
Some tables have painted bases and clear finish on tops, which would likely allow for using softer woods for the shaping. Oak is hard.
We recently purchased a bedroom set made in Amish country; brown maple, whatever version of maple that is. I tried to pound a nail into birdseye maple once....HARD! This furniture is incredibly heavy and sooooo nicely made...the tongue and groove joints are just as pretty and finely made as the outer parts.

Basically what I did when I built my outdoor cedar trestle table. Base first and then the top was easy.
Swingman has (or had) a dining room trestle table that he built several years ago and I modeled my garden table after it.
Having the experience building that, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to build a hardwood indoor table in a similar vein.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 03:07:08 +0000 (UTC), William Don**ly

If you really need to learn how to do make a table, by all means take the class. But if you already know how, for $200 you could buy all the tools you need to make one at home, as long as you dont buy real costly tools.
A common dark wood is walnut, but there are others. As for the cost, go to a local lumber yard and ask them. Newsgroups are not places to ask prices, because they vary around the world.
For table sizes, go to a furniture store and take a ruler.
Dont forget, you'll need chairs to match!