Extremely naive router table question--please try to be a little kind

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@thesafety.net (Ray Kinzler) writes:

If you know how far the fence needs to be from the line, it's easy. Measure at the ends of the line/fence, not at the bit. Say you need to set the fence 3/8 from the line. Measure 3/8 from one end, put the fence there, and clamp that end. Now, measure 3/8 from the other end and clamp that. Double check the first end, and you're done.
Of course, this assumes that the lines extend the entire length/width of the table.
Ray,
You could clamp or carpet tape a piece of 1/8" hardboard or other material (I have some leftover wainscoat panels the make nice 1/8" spacers) to your fence. That would give you a 3/8" rabbet without having to move the fence.
Of course its not the best solution and may bow away from your fence near the bit.
I am still trying to find the time to build a version of Pat Warner's fence (see www.patwarner.com ), but with 2 small ones that's not easy to do. That unit is bolted to the table top and has a micro-adjustable portion that you could move exact measurements such as 1/8". I've bought all the material I need and I can tell you, its not cheap though.
Good luck!
Chuck

Is that the same as getting your panties in a bunch?
snipped-for-privacy@thesafety.net (Ray Kinzler) wrote in

It may be a little late to post for this subject, but what the h!
I have found that the TV program "The Router Workshop" on Knowledge Network here in Western Canada has taught me a lot about router uses and safety. If you have this program in your area, it would be very informative for you to check it out. They use a simple router table and fence system, though they also use some jigs that are very expensive if bought from their merchandise arm.
Norm Abram on "The New Yankee Workshop" often uses the router. Also here in Canada you can see "In the Workshop" on HGTV. He (can't remember his name at the moment) also uses the router table often.
Brian