Extra long up-spiral router bits

Have searched and cannot find a 1/2 in. up-cut spiral router bit longer than 2 in. cutting depth. Does any body know if any up-cut spiral router bits are made with a cutting depth longer than 2 in?
Vic
"Victor" wrote:

Check with milling machine cutter suppliers.
Should be able to find a 4 flute cutter.
Lew

www.carbide.com carries Amana, CMT and a host of others. Try them. I find them great to deal with.
http://www.royceayr.com/pdfs/catalogues/CNC%20Solid%20Carbide%20Router%20Bits%202008-08.pdf
If that link doesn't work for you, go in the front door at http://www.royceayr.com and click on the SOLID CARBIDE link. If those guys don't have what you like, I would have no idea who would.

www.carbideprocessors.com/store
or call 800 346-8274 and we'll get it for you
How long do you want it to be?
Tom

Victor wrote:

'Scuse me for being nosey, but why is it necessary to remove that much material in a single pass?
Even with a half-ton CNC router I haven't found it necessary to cut deeper than one bit diameter at a time, and use multiple passes as needed...
...and a two-inch depth of cut will already be asking a lot of any portable router.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Hmm - ok, but there should be some way to do that kind of job with multiple passes. That way the cutting length would matter much less than the total bit length.
I think both KBC Tools (www.kbctools.com) and Enco (www.use-enco.com) have extra long 1/2" carbide end mills (equal to or better than most router bits and frequently less expensive), but I don't have either catalog handy.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

On the multi-router using the standard method for cutting tennons the tip of the cutter is creating the shoulder and the side of the cutter is creating the face of the tennon so the length of cutter that can extend from the collet is the absolute max length of tennon that can be cut.
That being said, many (not all) user of multi router use it for mortises and use floating tennons exactly because the tennon cutting is a little less acurate and consistent because of the nature of the cutting geometry with so much bit length involved..
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Understood. That necessitates a bit long enough to reach the shoulder - but if the tenon is cut with multiple passes, the cutting length need not equal the length of the tenon.

Yuppers, and if the MR is reasonably stable (and I assume it is), accuracy should be actually be improved with multi-pass cutting because there is less stress on everything.
I suspect that multi-pass cutting is more of a hassle - but I also suspect that bearing life would be extended by taking lighter cuts.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

The understanding of 'cutting' length vs 'bit' length. You can have a 4" long bit with a section of 'cut' which could be 1" long, hence the multiple passes req'd.
Ahh, I was reading too fast, so sure I am the only smart one.
Yup bit lth not cut lth is the ticket.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

No worry. If you like long bits, KBC offers
1-3242-027 1/2X3X6 2 FLUTE LONG CARBIDE END MILL (85459) $70.59
and Enco offers a somewhat pricey version at
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA27-1390&PMPXNO "502845
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Artemus wrote:

You may be right. He seemed to make the point that he couldn't find a cutting edge length longer than 2", and I interpreted that as meaning that he wanted a cutting edge length at least as long as the tenon...
Perhaps I misinterpreted.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

The OP may want a spiral bit with a bearing (I'm told they exist) for template routing 10/4 stock. My neighbor just asked after such a beast - he's a HS teacher and the shop teacher recommended he use on instead of the normal two-flute cutters.
scott

Thanks for all the reply's. I bought high speed end mills with a cutting flute of 3 in. The reason I wanted it longer than 2 in., is I use the bit in a plunge router to cut the mortise for loose tenons when working with wide material.
Vic
Don't you just love all the speculation. Glad you found a solution.
My little pet peeve on loose tenons is to suggest pinning both sides if it is a joint that will take much pull out or racking forces. The beauty of a traditional pinned tenon is the mechanical strength of the pin far outlasts most glues so the joint has a lifetime of integrity. If the glue fails in a loose tenon that isn't pinned... well, that's all she wrote.