Even Wood Shims!?

This is the same problem that England faced in the late 50s and early 60s. Manufacturing was collapsing and moving to North America. One example was their auto industry. They had several auto manufacturers, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, British Ford, British GM, and Standard Auto who made several brands, along with the specialty auto companies. Now they are virtually all gone, closed or sold to someone else. Times were rough in the 70s and 80s, now they are starting to pick up again now that the economy has adapted. Whether the US market can adapt is yet to be seen.
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:48:14 -0800 (PST), Airedale

Do you want a $7 pack of USA shims or a $3 pack of China-made shims? Currently, China's economy is soaring--but how long will that last?

I want the composite shims made from recycled materials. I buy them by the box at HD and I have no idea where they're made. I'll look.
But they snap off clean and are handy as they come in small bundles.. perfect for the tool box.
I don't really care if it costs 50 cents or 2 dollars during a $ 5000.00 install.
I want the composite shims made from recycled materials. I buy them by the box at HD and I have no idea where they're made. I'll look.
Swingman and I recently used these shims. I prefer them as they are consistant in size and dont splinter. IIRC they are the same price as the splintery shims 99 cents maybe 1.99 per pack.

AND they snap off a lot easier if you put them in with the holes away from you.

AND they snap off a lot easier if you put them in with the holes away from you.
Ill keep that in mine, thanks.

Cedar shingles are cheaper and better, and snap off easy after a whack with a beater chisel. You get occasional splinters, but no big deal to snip them off.

I disagree. I did it your way for many years. I like the 2008-way better.
Phisherman wrote:

Look at it this way--every Chinese tree that gets cut down is one more American tree that gets to live a little longer.
--John

They're all our trees.
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 07:05:39 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

And sometimes trees are harvested in NA and sent off to be processed.

Are you sure we are not shipping our harvested logs to China. Joe G

Trees cut here. Shipped to China. China makes plywood and shims and 2x4s. Shipped to U.S. We buy. Some profit--on trees--stays here. Most profit goes to China along with more of our trees.

Of course the Chinese also ship the US/Canada tree products to countries all over the world.

It will last until they reach something close to a level with us, just as happened in Japan and Taiwan. But by the time that happens in China (it's also happening in India), the world will be devoid of resources.

The Chinese economy is soaring. The Chinese standard of living is not. The Politburo is sitting on a time bomb.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

While China's economy may be "soaring" by Chinese standards, their GDP is still only 3/4 that of Japan (and about 1/5 that of the US), to spread among more than ten times the population, so Politburo or no Politburo there's not all that much to go around.
--John

And the population is now exposed to higher standards of living.

And to the toxins in the waste we send over there to be recycled.

They're getting even with lead paint on toys and other contaminants in drugs and other products. What is it, heparin, with Chinese base materials, has killed a number of people.