Rectangular plastic shims

Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims (commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday? (or failing that, any other day of the week?) Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range now are something completely different.

Someone selling some on ebay:

$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBKqjP)dgiQ~~_35.JPG

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

ebay:

$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBKqjP)dgiQ~~...>
if you get a wiggle on :>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Think I saw them in Aldi or Lidel a while back. Even so, they have always seemed just a little too pricey to tempt me into ditching my boxes of assorted wooden offcuts, that always seem to get bigger...

spamlet

These ?

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=35890

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=35890>

I saw those but couldn't work out what they are. They look like a school stencil drawing set.

In Wickes, I found a packet of plastic wedge shims (something to do with laying wooden floors). They are now deployed behind my facias, spacing it away from the wall plate so it lines up with the brickwork correctly, and allowing some air circulation between the facia and the wall plate.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=35890>>>> I saw those but couldn't work out what they are.

They are colour coded, e.g. brown 6mm, yellow 1mm, blue 3mm etc. The horseshoe shape means you can drop them over a fixing and they will stay in place - unlike a wedge.

Another make here, better picture

The Medway Handyman

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=35890>>>>>>> I saw those but couldn't work out what they are.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wibbled on Sunday 28 March 2010 23:44

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=35890>

Different versions of the same functional product. I prefer the ones with more substance.

Reply to
Tim Watts

[quick google search] no.

I wanted something to space a facia board away from the wall plate it screws into, to make the front line up with the brickwork, and to create a gap between the facia (which eventually goes rotten if not replaced in time) and the wall plate (which I'd rather didn't go rotten).

The Wickes wedge shims actually worked very well.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wibbled on Monday 29 March 2010 10:28

Didn't notice you were the OP Andrew.

Reply to
Tim Watts