Estimating wooden ramp strength

Page 2 of 3
Mike Marlow wrote:

<$100 to build the pair of ramps. Would you want to screw around with borderline engineered ramps when trying to move a couple thousand pounds?

Probably about 60# each. Not that heavy really.

How did this get to be a couple thousand pound project? Wasn't the OP talking about such things as mowers and snowblowers? Who's going to be building ramps to load a couple thousand pound object into the back of a pickup?

Very heavy compared to the alternatives.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I'd like to see the pickup with a couple thousand pounds in the back.
May the OP should just give up and hire a roll-back. <G>

I have a trailer that can carry a lot more than 2,000 lbs. I made it myself, kind of.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Homemade-Trailer-With-M105A2-Bed/
It can carry about 4k lbs.
"Ignoramus7291" wrote

After viewing your very impressive trailer build, I have two very irreverant thoughts.
The first is a mental picture of those crummy trailer kits sold at the borg and Harbor Freight. You know, the light weight trailers that come in two big cardboard boxes. Lots of pieces that you bolt together.
What you built is twenty times heavier, a hundred times more sturdy and million times more classy that those cheap kits.
The second thought is that cammo paint job looks really good on the trailer. When are you going to paint the truck to match the trailer?

I bought one once. Sold it to my friend promptly. Could not stand the sight of it.

It is more like 10 times heavier. But yes. This is "the real thing".

I love the camo job, yes, and here's my dilemma. I feel like I need to sand and paint over some spots, but I do not know how to prevent the pattern.
This trailer actually gets compliments from completely random people on the streets.
Did you see the pictures of bullet holes on this trailer? (real bullet holes, not fake stickers)
Making it was fun. It was my winter project. It actually took relatively little time due to me wanting to get it out of the garage so as to not tp upset my wife too much. But it was as lot of work.

I mean, how to keep the pattern, I do not know what I was thinking.

That information has to be around someplace. i have seen good cammo paint jobs done with spray paint (in a can).
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:45:11 -0500, Ignoramus7291

Durrr! Take lots of pictures, so you can duplicate it! ;-P
Locate spray cans of the flat camo paint colors you need or have them mixed if you want to use a touch-up spray gun. Some mixed paints with flattening additives need to be shot 'fresh' (within a few months of mixing) or they revert to semi-gloss.
Fix the rusty.dented spots. Prime and spray base coat.
If the spots have fuzzy edges, you can freehand the camo splotches. Practice each color on a piece of cardboard to make sure the gun is primed and shooting a solid pattern before you go for the trailer.
If you want defined edges, use plain old masking tape to outline the paint areas and then mask off the surrounding area - depending on the paint chemistry the 3M Blue (long mask) or Green (tough surface) tape.
They have tapes with specialized adhesives to work with lacquers and certain other aggressive solvents. Read the label.
--<< Bruce >>--
Ignoramus7291 wrote:

The paint scheme will be found in TM 43-0139.
http://www.dmkf.dk/Filer_manualer/Camo/TB%2043-0139%20Color%20generel.pdf
Kevin Gallimore
-

Is that a real rating? Seems like that would be kinda high for a single axle trailer like that.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

The axle is 6,000 lbs rated. I bought it new. The entire trailer weighs less than 2,000 lbs. My estimate is about 1,700 lbs.

The axel rating is only part of the equation, you also can't exceed the tire rating nor the rating of the vehicle pulling the trailer.
Any one of those specs exceeded and the Highway Patrol can side line the trailer until the load can be made legal and weight tickets like this are priced by the pound.
--

Roger Shoaf

Tires came with the axle. The truck is rated for something like 9k lbs. The hitch, I think 10k lbs.

Agreed.
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:04:00 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"

In my state of CT, you register a trailer for a stated gross weight, subject to inspection. All homebuilt trailers are required to be inspected to get initial and transfer registrations. Are there states that just hand a plate to a homebuilt trailer without inspecting it? I would imagine Ig had to have his fine workmanship inspected at registration.
If you're under the card GVW weights for the trailer and tow vehicle, you're good to go, no negotiating required.
Many recent pickups are rated for at least a 6000 pound tow. Even my "midsize" '05 Tacoma can legally tow 6500. Unless you're driving like a bad episode of "CHIPS", I doubt most cops would bat an eyelash at Ig's trailer behind a full-size pickup.

Here in Maine all they want to know about small homebuilt trailers is the color and what you paid for it <g>. But I assume you can be cited for unsafe operation or some other catchall if you're doing something stupid.
--
Ned Simmons

I registered it with a 5,000 lbs gross rating, and it did not require an inspection in my state. I made sure that my trailer conformed to regulations with respect to lights and braking.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:34:28 -0500, Ignoramus2057

Nice! IN CT, ANY homebuilt has to be inspected.
I'm sure your work would impress the inspectors. <G>
Ignoramus7291 wrote:

Nice!

Barry, thank you!
Somewhat wood related (wood vs. metal), I really like the fact that its bottom (deck) is made from steel, not wood. Makes a lot of things a lot easier. (like dragging stuff)