Estimating wooden ramp strength

Is that a real rating? Seems like that would be kinda high for a single axle trailer like that.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The axle is 6,000 lbs rated. I bought it new. The entire trailer weighs less than 2,000 lbs. My estimate is about 1,700 lbs.

Ignoramus7291

Regarding use of 2x4s vs. 2x6s on sides, I decided to use 2x4s and center support (support the ramp in the middle), which I can do with cinderblocks or jackstands, etc. Makes ramps a lot easier to deal with.

Ignoramus7291

Nice!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Barry, thank you!

Somewhat wood related (wood vs. metal), I really like the fact that its bottom (deck) is made from steel, not wood. Makes a lot of things a lot easier. (like dragging stuff)

Ignoramus7291

The axel rating is only part of the equation, you also can't exceed the tire rating nor the rating of the vehicle pulling the trailer.

Any one of those specs exceeded and the Highway Patrol can side line the trailer until the load can be made legal and weight tickets like this are priced by the pound.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

As I sse the problem with the angle idea is that when the ramp is loaded, the bolts you use to secure the angle to the wood will want to twist in the wood, ant that would as I see it be the start of a failure.

By using the steel on the underside as I suggested the sag would be limited to the ability of the steel to streach against the unwillingness of the wood to compress against the end grain like a wall stud.

You could induce a little preload when welding the rods to the end caps if you flipped the ramp upside down and between two fulcrum points. If you welded one end, and then placed a weight on the center the wood would flex down, (Actually "up" in its usual orientation.) and then you could weld the other end. When the weight was released, the rods would already be in tension.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Tires came with the axle. The truck is rated for something like 9k lbs. The hitch, I think 10k lbs.

Agreed.

Ignoramus7291

Durrr! Take lots of pictures, so you can duplicate it! ;-P

Locate spray cans of the flat camo paint colors you need or have them mixed if you want to use a touch-up spray gun. Some mixed paints with flattening additives need to be shot 'fresh' (within a few months of mixing) or they revert to semi-gloss.

Fix the rusty.dented spots. Prime and spray base coat.

If the spots have fuzzy edges, you can freehand the camo splotches. Practice each color on a piece of cardboard to make sure the gun is primed and shooting a solid pattern before you go for the trailer.

If you want defined edges, use plain old masking tape to outline the paint areas and then mask off the surrounding area - depending on the paint chemistry the 3M Blue (long mask) or Green (tough surface) tape.

They have tapes with specialized adhesives to work with lacquers and certain other aggressive solvents. Read the label.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Just as a reference, my father made some ramps of 3"x12"x~10' rough sawn live oak he used for over 30 years to load levee rollers on the bobtail IH. The levee rollers were concrete spools with heavy angle frames that weighed about 4800 lbs. We'd put three on the truck and deliver them around to implement dealers, which is why I had a commercial license at 16. Dad had mounted a hydraulic winch in the bed, and we'd tilt the dump bed about 5 deg. up to load and unload. Those old loading ramps never broke, although they did develop a raised ridge over time down the middle. I guess something to do with the way they were sawn.

Every time I took a load through the old Baytown tunnel, I'd have to stop for an inspection. The chain boom handles had to be safety wired, 2"x4" cleats nailed behind the rollers, etc. I guess they didn't want to see three rollers unload down the tunnel as I exited.

The ramps were also a bear to handle, being pretty damn heavy. The attachment to the bobtail (single rear axle truck) was just a small angle bolted to the ramp set in a groove formed by a piece of bar welded to the back of the bed.

Reply to
Pete Keillor

In my state of CT, you register a trailer for a stated gross weight, subject to inspection. All homebuilt trailers are required to be inspected to get initial and transfer registrations. Are there states that just hand a plate to a homebuilt trailer without inspecting it? I would imagine Ig had to have his fine workmanship inspected at registration.

If you're under the card GVW weights for the trailer and tow vehicle, you're good to go, no negotiating required.

Many recent pickups are rated for at least a 6000 pound tow. Even my "midsize" '05 Tacoma can legally tow 6500. Unless you're driving like a bad episode of "CHIPS", I doubt most cops would bat an eyelash at Ig's trailer behind a full-size pickup.

**
**

B A R R Y

The paint scheme will be found in TM 43-0139.

Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Here in Maine all they want to know about small homebuilt trailers is the color and what you paid for it . But I assume you can be cited for unsafe operation or some other catchall if you're doing something stupid.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I registered it with a 5,000 lbs gross rating, and it did not require an inspection in my state. I made sure that my trailer conformed to regulations with respect to lights and braking.

Ignoramus2057

Nice! IN CT, ANY homebuilt has to be inspected.

I'm sure your work would impress the inspectors.

**
**

B A R R Y