Best Surface Prep / Paint for Skateboard Ramp

My teenager has spent his summer work money on building a wooden "half-pipe" for skateboarding. The top layer is plywood. Any suggestions on a coating or finish? I'm not certain what would be right mixture of low drag coefficient and durability.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
William Coney

coefficient

A marine varnish (polyurethane) sounds like it's weatherproof, durable, and "low drag coefficient".

Reply to
jeffc

I did this very same thing a year ago. We purchased a sheet of formica and glued it to a very sanded-smooth surface of plywood. Be very careful if you use this method - there can be no voids in the wood (had to use filler) and all the edges must be glued 100%. We used contact cement. We also used marine varnish on the exposed edges of the ply since it was often left in the driveway instead of the garage. Still going strong today. Very easy to keep clean the there is practically no drag on the surface at all.

Jim

coefficient

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Maybe throw a sheet of wilsonart or other countertop laminate on there. Seal the edges to keep the weather out. Should wear well and be fast! It'll bend to that radius fine as well.

Caleb

coefficient

Reply to
calebsg

put some old matresses on it so when he falls the injuries wont be too bad...

Reply to
jim

Check with your city about noise and building regs first. A backyard ramp in my neighborhood was condemned (thank goodness!) at least in part because of the *fierce* noise produced. While I admire the young man paying for and constructing his own recreational outlet, this kind of thing is often regulated to a fare-thee-well. Local interest here resulted in the city building a skateboard facility -- approved and supervised.

Reply to
Frogleg