Emmigrating to Australia

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
My name is Mathew Ashton and I currently live on the west coast of Canada. I am in the final stage of the immigration process for Australia - I'm applying under the Skilled Independent Regional Visa. What that means is that I will be restricted to working in regional areas only of Australia, rather than metropolis centers for the first 2 years. The place I've been approved to work in is Maroochy Shire; 2 hours north of Brisbane in Queensland.
I am hoping to hear from those of you who are living either in Brisbane, or preferably or north of Brisbane, and can point me to cabinetmaker/furniture maker shops in the Maroochy Shire. Specifically, I am interested in companies that I can contact about potential employment.
My qualifications are: (in short) 22 years as a cabinetmaker, furniture maker, woodturner, carver... Basically there is very little in the woodworking industry that I haven't done. If you are so inclined you can view some of what I've done at www.members.shaw.ca/mathewa . To limit the spammers you will find my contact information on my webspace, so ya might as well have a look :-).
Thx in advance, Mat
I can't point you to any shops but I can say Brisbane was one of my favorite places in Australia. For that matter QL is pretty nice all around. I'm envious! Good luck to you, Cheers, cc

Thanx. I think one of the biggest driving reasons for me to go is the people and how friendly they are; the weather is definitely another big draw.

Canada.
is
Australia,
been
can
the
might
I'm in Perth so I can't give you any pointers but try www.yellowpages.com.au and have a look.
The talk we hear quite often is that the manual trades have trouble finding skilled people because the kids are all going for computer related fields so I doubt that someone with your skill would have trouble finding work.
You may also like to join http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/index.php?s Regards Paul
wrote:

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia
It's world wide. I don't think there is a developed nation that doesn't have a shortage of skilled trades people

Canada.
been
or
cabinetmaker/furniture
the
as
Australia

India. China. Korea.
U.S. doesn't actually have a shortage; the folks here just don't want to pay what they are worth.
-- http://book-reviews.hostpci.com Book reviews -- Salesmanship & related topics Howard Lee Harkness
He said "skilled".
From my personal experiences I have found that while in developing countries that is not shortage of labor, most of the labor is not necessarily skilled. Good craftspeople are probably even more valued there then here in USA.
Artak

I know.

My personal experience is at odds with that.
I am getting violins made in China and Korea for about $50 each delivered, including case and bow, that are surprizingly well made, including inlaid purfling. (I am a professional violinist, so that is my *professional* opinion) You couldn't get an American luthier to do the same quality work for less than about 10 times that much money.
I am no longer working as a programmer (which I consider to be a skilled job) because I have been displaced by H1-B workers from India and China. These folks are very much well-skilled -- and willing to work for about 1/3rd of what I need to maintain my standard of living.
-- http://book-reviews.hostpci.com Book reviews -- Salesmanship & related topics Howard Lee Harkness

Hmmmm, ...are any of those violins red, by any chance?
(Sorry, obscure movie reference I couldn't resist.)
-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <><
September 11, 2001 - Never Forget
It is. Isn't it great? Been a machinist for near 20 years now.

Oh it great alright. I live in Victoria, pretty much the best area in Canada for living; wages are also some of the lowest. Things are changing though. It reminds me of the tech boom a few years back. If a company wasn't willing to pay well, the IT guys were jumping ship like lemmings. I see a lot of guys in cabinet making now doing just that, they're not putting up with shit wages. It's leaving a lot of companies with contractual obligations scrambling and now they're beginning to increase wages to keep their employees.
I would think that things will be good for another 10 years or so for us in the highly skilled trades category. Then all those who have just gotten out of high school will have caught up. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
I think the cabinet making jobs will be still in demand. It's still considered a low brow career move by parents. And kids these days are soft, having to lift sheets of MDF and melamine onto that "big scary saw" seems to scare most of them off. And ya know how fashion conscious kids are these days; they say the dust is hard on their skin and hair ;-). Kids with frizzy hair and dull skin are the new 21st century lepers. I see a great deal of kids looking at being electricians, machinists and so forth. There is also a significant increase in those enrolling in "fine furniture" making courses also. But those who have been in this long enough now there isn't much money in that field - lots of envy and respect from those who can't make high end furniture but no money.

I'm thinking I'd have started checking on jobs way earlier in the process.
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
I did. Had many job offers with places to stay till I got settled, I had one fellow phone me at 2:30am to offer me a job. He didn't realize that we are 17 hours behind here. Problem, they were all outside the area I will have to work in.
I'm thinking I'd have started checking on jobs way earlier in the process.
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
OT, but....
Well, be prepared for the weather. Sorry. But you are heading for the Tropics, with a capital T. It rains all summer.
http://cadence.advanstar.com/newsletter/mcad/0899_1.html
I am serious, because you mention Canada, which _starts_ way North of the tropics. If you like tropical weather then fine. Otherwise head way south, or look for indoor work in places that _at least_ have fans.
But then I am biased. I hate the tropics.

***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Yea baby! the tropics I can't waite. I like the rain, especially when its 80 degrees or more out. I'm as far south in Canada as I can get and I'm still cold.

Canada.
been

Good! To each their own. I was not judging but warning.
I live 32 deg south and would happily go the other 3-4 in Oz!
***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????

I think Western Australia and Perth in particular is the nicest place to live in Australia. I came here for a holiday from Victoria and ended up moving here. The weather, people and lifestyle are unbeatable.
Fraser
PS Victoria Australia not Victoria Canada.
I thought about WA but my wife was set on Queensland - we have a few friends.

Canada.
is
Australia,
been
can
the
might
Mat,
if you haven't already done so, check your trade qualifications and their relevant equivalencies down here. If you can't explain your qualifications in 'their' terms, you will have trouble getting work (or fair wages) until you can.
I'll suggest that you contact Maroochy Shire direct with your query, you may be pleasantly surprised with what else they may be able to assist with.
For now, try http://www.maroochyshire.com /
Follow the links to the building trades, all the businesses are listed. I suggest that you write to the shire and tell them what you are planning to do and ask if they can offer assistance.
They should be able to put you in contact with the local employment services also.
Best of luck and welcome to Oz.
BTW, you *will* need to learn how to talk again, but that shouldn't take more than 5 years..;-)
--

Greg

"Mat A" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
Try here if your looking for work in Australia http://jobsearch.gov.au / http://www.mycareer.com.au / http://www.yellowpages.com.au/browse/browseEntry.do