Embossed, printed wood?

I may have asked this a while back, but do any of you know anything about embossed and printed wood? I see old boxes that have different colored ink stamped on them, but it appears that the wood has been indented as well - like a steel stamp was inked and pressed into it. I'm wondering what this is called? Thx. Moi
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:03:34 -0800 (PST), JayPique

You can mount a stamp in a press, ink it, and do that: http://www.harpermfg.com/hm_stampingpress.html
or you can burn it in with a branding iron: http://www.rockler.com/c/branding-irons.cfm
-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois