Embossed, printed wood?

I may have asked this a while back, but do any of you know anything about embossed and printed wood? I see old boxes that have different colored ink stamped on them, but it appears that the wood has been indented as well - like a steel stamp was inked and pressed into it. I'm wondering what this is called? Thx. Moi

Reply to
JayPique

You can mount a stamp in a press, ink it, and do that:

you can burn it in with a branding iron:
can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques