Electric hand tool recommendations

Page 2 of 3

Dave
Chris Dubea wrote:
> My list is as follows: > > 1) Bosch 1591 EVSK Barrel grip jigsaw.
Most any Bosch works.
> 2) Porter Cable 352VS belt sander.
It's a POS, but a more basic question.
Unless you are doing tops, why would you want a belt sander?
> 3) Milwaukee 6391-21 7 1/4" left hand circular saw.
If you do construction and need that type saw, that's as good as any.
Personally, I prefer a small panel saw for trimming sheet goods.
Lew
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:06:17 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Care to elucidate upon this?

My real POS Black and Decker has been used for many years. Different folks have different working methods.

Such as?

thanks

Chris Dubea wrote:
> Care to elucidate upon this?
While building a boat, managed to burn up and get rebuilt under warranty every P/C model belt sander except the "Choo-choo" which is no longer available.
These days, I'm fooling around with furniture, the "Choo-Choo" just sets on the shelf collecting dust.
If I need a flat glue-up, head for the drum sanding outfit.
> Such as?
I use a 10 year old, 18VDC, DeWalt panel saw that came with a drill as a kit.
Add x 2x2x1/8x96 aluminum angle and a couple of 3", C-Clamps and I'm good to go.
Cut pieces 1/4" proud and then clean up with a router or table saw as req'd.
HTH
Lew
Chris Dubea wrote:
> My list is as follows: > > 1) Bosch 1591 EVSK Barrel grip jigsaw. > 2) Porter Cable 352VS belt sander. > 3) Milwaukee 6391-21 7 1/4" left hand circular saw.
The more I thought about this post, the more I thought about the tools I frequently use these days, in no particular order.
A good 10" table saw equipped with a Unifence, a good set of 10" carbide saw blades, and a good dado set.
A jointer.
A bench top planer.
A router kit with both fixed and plunge bases.
A 6" Bosch, ROS (I dream about a Fein 8").
A Fein detail sander with all the goodies.
A Bosch jig saw.
A 1,500 watt heat gun.
A battery operated panel saw.
A battery operated drill.
A 1/2", right angle, 2 speed, corded drill to handle that collection of hole saws.
Probably the biggest investment is the collection of cutting tools required for those power tools.
After that, it is clamps, clamps and more clamps.
HTH
Lew
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:37:35 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Got that although the saw is currently in pieces thanks to Katrina.

Got one, see above comment

Got one

Got one

Have a PC right angle ROS which I like a lot and a PC square pad ROS to finish with.

H'mmm interesting. My experience with detail sanders was with a Ryobi POS and it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth regarding detail sanders. I felt guilty selling it for $5 at a garage sale.

Getting one ;>

I'm at a loss to understand the usage of this in woodworking.

I've got an anathema regarding battery powered saws. As indicated, I want to replace my current Skil 7 1/4" circular saw with something a little less, "flimsy".

Got one

I can see the utility. Kind of pricey for very limited usage though.

Indeed
Got those!

cheers,

Chris Dubea (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:37:35 GMT, Lew Hodgett
|| A Fein detail sander with all the goodies. | | H'mmm interesting. My experience with detail sanders was with a | Ryobi POS and it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth regarding | detail sanders. I felt guilty selling it for $5 at a garage sale.
Lew offered good advice. It'd be worth the time and trouble to find someone local who'll let you try theirs. This isn't a low-budget item; but is almost certain to change your opinion of detail sanders!
> H'mmm interesting. My experience with detail sanders was with a Ryobi > POS and it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth regarding detail > sanders. I felt guilty selling it for $5 at a garage sale.
Fein is a different world.
> I'm at a loss to understand the usage of this in woodworking.
If you ever need to break a TiteBond II joint or lift a piece of plastic laminate, a heat gun is essential.
> I've got an anathema regarding battery powered saws. As indicated, I > want to replace my current Skil 7 1/4" circular saw with something a > little less, "flimsy".
I wasn't excited about mine when I got it as part of a kit, but the little bugger surprised me.
Works very well for sheet goods.
> A 1/2", right angle, 2 speed, corded drill to handle that collection >> of hole saws. > > I can see the utility. Kind of pricey for very limited usage though.
Agreed. Got mine as part of a barter.
> Got those!
You never have too many clamps<G>.
Lew

Don't think of it as a "detail sander". Fein calls it a "multimaster" and it does many things other than detail sanding. Among other things it can saw flush to a surface and get into places that are inaccessible with a jigsaw or circular saw.

*snip*

*snip*
You quoted the guy's whole post to say just this? Please trim the reply to what you're replying to exactly, or summarize.
Puckdropper

<plonk>

Switzerland". I think the 1584s say "Made in Taiwan" IIRC
"Chris Dubea"

I've recently switched to the Bosch version of the Mag77. Awesome saw.
Dave

Just one comment about this one: if you have small hands (like I do), don't buy this from a catalog without examining one hands-on first. You might find it not very convenient or comfortable to grip.
--
Regards,
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:54:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I've used the 1584 and had no problems handling it as my hands are not particularly small.

I have the P-C 352 vs. Good sander easy to use. Mine went out after about 100 hr of use, the trigger switch burned out. Repair according to PC is about $100 +, switch costs $7.10 but they want to change out the armature. Don't even know if I can buy a switch myself since there are 5 models of the sander and mine is the oldest. I am going to try an independent shop to get the switch and give it a try, the armature looks good to me and all the smoke is from the switch. When it works it is nice and does everything you ask of it with no complaints or problems, when it's broke it is broke. I wonder if this is B&D's way of getting me to buy a new sander? I never had problems getting parts of PC tools in the past.

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:50:31 -0500, "sweetsawdust"

H'mmm that's interesting. It's not encouraging when trigger switches fail on electric tools.
The trigger switch on my VS profession B & D now only has one speed. In it's defense the drill was immersed in brackish water thanks to Katrina. I'll have to see if parts are available.
Thanks for the info.

The power switch is probably the most common part to fail on a tool. The switches on both of my Bosch routers have failed and one did not make it through the first day.
Chris Dubea wrote:

You WILL use the jigsaw and circular saw with some frequency. Go get what you like and consider refurbished equipment to keep the cost down. Regarding the belt sander, hold off the replacement until you see how much you need one. Continue shopping, but don't buy it until the project comes up that calls for it. You might find another tool that you will use more frequently. I have a PC LH circ saw and a Makita RH circ saw. Both are professional grade. I currently favor the RH Makita probably because it's newer and comes with a blade brake.
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:41:16 -0500, Chris Dubea