Ebay Mavens?

Page 2 of 3
Wood Butcher wrote:

I go to AuctionStealer.com, log on, go to the bidding page, add in the number of the auction, tell it how much and submit.
There are others.
UA100

I understand that eBay is changing things up to make this harder to do with 3rd-party sniping services.
snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://freshcoffee.opportunity.com http://freshjava.opportunity.com

There would be an easy way for eBay to prevent sniping services from operating. That would be to automatically extend an auction by 5 minutes whenever a bid comes in within 5 minutes of the planned end of the auction. I'm aware of other online and "live" auctions that work this way. I wonder what the downside from eBay's POV would be to doing this. For the record, I don't have a problem with sniping services, and I don't even see why it would be a problem again from eBay's POV.
todd
todd wrote:

is! And all of us end up the suckers.

I've always HATED auctions that automatically extend, like uBid!
When I really want an item, I make sure my butt is on it when it's due to end, ready to place the old-fashioned manual snipe. If eBay changed auction models, I'd never go back. Based on the popularity of sites that auto extend, I'm probably not alone.
If eBay blocked the services, it would be simple enough to install sniping software on your machine and do it yourself.
Barry

Well, that's what real auctions do and part of what makes it an auction.

That doesn't work that well.

I doubt that the popularity of eBay is due to that. I would be surprised if the majority of users don't consider it a flaw rather than a feature. I don't often bother with eBay, because it is more of a game than a real auction. Sure, one can spend lots of time in multiple auctions, but for me its not worth it. Sniping also works more reliably with broadband, so I would have to get that in order to compete.

There's software for mac to automate sniping and no doubt for windows as well.
Just extend the "auctions" for a single minute and the problem would go away.
Barry it sounds like you get a real kick thinking you have pulled a sneaky trick on someone. Snatching something away from someone else by using what you think are clever tactics. Tisk, tisk, tisk.
Dont you realize it dont even matter to a bidder that has bid his maximum amount. Only the people that are like you get upset about it.
William Lee

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:58:23 GMT, "WilleeCue"

Wha...?
Not at all all. In fact, I usually bid my max amount and walk away. This causes me to lose a huge number of auctions.

I'm not upset at all.
I simply don't like chasing auctions on sites like uBid that continue to extend.
Barry
WilleeCue wrote:

Actually no. The snipe only delivers my bid amount. If I "snatched" it away from someone it's because someone didn't have a bid to top mine. It's all about taking responsibility for your own actions. In other words, if you want it, then bid more than I will.
Now, if somehow my sniped bid were to make the other bidders bid less than they wanted to bid, that would be a sneaky trick.
Of course it is always easier to blame others for your misfortune.
UA100
I remember reading something from a guy that auctioned a lot. He said that he stated right on the page that the auction would end withing two hours either way of the published time. Made it impossible to snipe. I thought that was a good idea.

Actually sniping software on my own machine would be my preference anyway.
Pro:     You don't have to give your password to a stranger     You don't have any limits on snipe timing
Con:     You have to have your machine on and connected     Your connection might not be as reliable
I think the Pro outweighs the Con here.
snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://freshcoffee.opportunity.com http://freshjava.opportunity.com
You left out what I consider the most important point of all. Con: You have to be awake and at your computer when the auction ends.
Art
"Howard" wrote in message ...

Actually, with sniping software, your computer has to be running and connected to the internet, but you *don't* have to be sitting in front of it.
snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://freshcoffee.opportunity.com http://freshjava.opportunity.com

unless you are using a snipe *service* in which case you don't even have to own a computer...
DOH! I missed the word "software". <slinks back to the garage>
Art

Todd, I have harped on that very thing for years. Ebay will not change their software to do this. However ... on the other hand .... If a person bids the max they want to pay for an item then what is the big deal about being out bid in the last few seconds?
William Lee

Howard wrote:

Like what?
UA100, who enjoys the conversational aspects of this whole thing but does draw the line somewhere...
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Thank you.
Art
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message ...

"smart." I just care that his/her money is green.

in my pocket. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that in the history of eBay, no seller has sent a message to a winning bidder saying, "You paid too much. I'll give the blurfl to you for x dollars instead."
I, for one, don't appreciate those high-pressure tactics <g>.

I have to admit, I went through that with an Emmert I was looking at a couple of months ago. I had set my personal limit at $150 and I watched the end of the auction with bated breath. I mean, it was an Emmert Model 82 for a hundred and fifty bucks! The price went from $120 to $215 in the last 3 minutes of the auction. It took all my willpower not to hit that damn button. For a hypothetical enactment of the results, see thread entitled, "How to infuriate your wife."
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, Keith. I guess my motives in this regard are less altruistic.
-Phil Crow