Early Morning Planning

Page 3 of 3

Of course not. But this is an extremely small percentage of the total amount of light now being broadcast upward. One example is very high-powered billboard lights aimed upward. Another is the insane amount of lighting auto dealers use to light their lots after business hours. It may be required by their insurance companies to protect millions of dollars of inventory, but that's not the point here. The lights could easily be properly shielded and directed to the ground, performing their intended function without waste. Sensible shielded lighting uses lower wattage bulbs to achieve the same effect, thus reducing the amount of reflected light.
Bob
Bob
Bob Schmall responds:

Even then...on I77 south just as you exit Charleston, WV there's a Ford dealer with incredibly bright lights on his/her inventory. It actually blinds you as you come down the road, and is a true hazard on wet nights. I drove that road off and on for 2-1/2 years and evidently there were no local complaints, so the lights stayed as they are. I'd bet they are still that way. Dual pollution, IMO, plus adding unnecessary danger to an already hazardous drive.
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

by
but
and
dealer
as
road
so the

pollution,
I hate it when they do that! Don't know how many times I've run into similar lighting over the years.
In the same vein, many yrs. ago in Indianapolis, driving down Madison Ave.(4 lane divided blvd. with cross traffic) at night, there had been an accident on the Northbound side, but as we were driving South, couldn't see ANYTHING except a pair of blinding headlights until we got to it, then we could see the flashing lights on top of the police car. Tried to ask an officer standing in the middle of the intersection to dim them so people could tell there was an emergency instead of just being blinded, and was told to "Get the H*ll out of here". To be honest, I don't believe this was a State or Sheriff, not even a City boy, but a local Constable, who I've discovered over the years often have their heads up a long dark tunnel, blinded by their own authority. It was pure good luck he didn't have a second accident to go with the original one due to his asinine attitude.
--
Nahmie

Bob, I am one of those insane auto dealers. We do use a significant amount of light on our lots. The lamps are 1000w Metal Halide. They are shielded and focused only to point down and trimed to stay on the lot but it still a large amount of light. However, on the non-display areas we used HPS lamps and they reduce the amount of bounced light. We do leave 20% of the display lights on after hours for security.
I wish there was a better method.
Dave

1,000 watt? There is a better method. Go here: http://www.darksky.org /.
They can help.
Bob
Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm curious--do they have a "better method" that renders colors with some accuracy when compared to their appearance in daylight? HPS doesn't do that and that's what they seem to be pushing. For many purposes this doesn't matter, but for display areas at an automobile dealership I would think that it did--people don't like to buy a car that's one color on the lot and another when they get it home.

--
--John

The lights could easily be properly shielded and

Bob again: 1,000 watt? There is a better method. Go here:

Bob & John, I did visit the website and followed the link - http://www.darksky.org/fixtures/areashoe.html
These are the same type we currently use. I was really hoping for a better solution. In addition, I emailed them stating my situation and as yet - no reply.
Dave
Wed, Nov 10, 2004, 10:11am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (CharlieSelf) says: I love this time of year, early morning before it's light, and nippy air that helps clear the head. Today, I need to cut some cabinet doors, and I don't want to waste plywood, so I was standing outside thinking it out--this sometimes works better than pencil and paper <snip>
I do that, exactly the same way. Except later in the day.
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?