DW735 thickness planer feed rollers slipping

My DW735 isn't that old but recently the feed rollers have started slipping. The rollers are definitely turning as the stock come out with black rubber marks where the rollers have spun over the stock.

I'm not planing more than the recommended amount. Infact, the rollers slip when I've been planing as little as 1/32 from a 4 in piece of stock.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Could this jsut be dirty rollers? If so, what's best to use to clean them?

Thanks, Dave.

Reply to
Dave Rathnow

I've had this with heavier stock in my DW733. I blow it out then wipe them down with just a damp rag and it cures it for a while. I've thought about spraying belt dressing on them to make them more tacky.

Reply to
Bruce

same thing was happening to mine.....waxed the bed with Johnson's paste wax and stock moved freely....keep that bed clean and waxed

Reply to
mel

Would cleaning the rubber rollers with isopropyl alcohol help? I use this as a degreaser. I'm wondering if roughing up the surface a bit with sandpaper might help. Seems as though the rollers are getting polished.

Ditto,

I find that I have to wipe down the rollers with a dap rag (just water) after a hour or two of SOLID operation. As others have mentioned, wax the bed while you're at it.

Works like a charm (at least on the 733).

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Based on whar I've read I wiped them with mineral spirits yesterday but haven't challenged them yet. First time in almost 12 years on the AP10.

Reply to
Bob Bowles

This happens to me frequently when planing oily woods like teak. I clean the rolls with mineral spirits and am right back in business.

Dave

Reply to
jds

I use denatured alcohol to clean the rollers on my 733 and like the others, wax the bed.

Remove plug from outlet. Raise the rollers all the way up so you can get a rag (damp with alcohol) on each roller and wipe the length of it. Be careful, those knives are sharp. This will clean about 1/4 of the circumference of the rollers. Remove hand and rag, plug in, power on to rotate the rollers (1 second shot) power off, remove plug, wipe rollers, repeat sequence until clean.

Note that I clearly said to remove the power plug so there is no accidental power on while your hand is near those blades. You can do what you want but if you come back using "Fingerless" instead of "C" for a name - we'll know why....

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

This happened to mine as well. I raised the cutterhead assembly all the way up and used some compressed air to get most of it out. To get what was left I used a small brush. There was quite a bit of small dust and chips stuck to the rollers. After that I put some more wax on the table and it seems okay now.

Tripper

Reply to
Tripper

So...I gues my technique of leaving it run and just hold the rag against the roller isn't very safe? ;)

Reply to
Eric

I have been having the same problem, I replaced a 733 with the 735, never had the problem on the 733 (and never waxed or cleaned beyond compressed air), but it started happening on the first 1/2 dozen boards with the 735. I saw a comment on another site that it is due to dulling blades. I don't see that mentioned here, anyone care to comment? I'm going to try the wax & cleaning with mineral spirits & see what happens.

Thanks for having you comments up here find.

Wayne

Eric wrote:

Reply to
CalvinBall