Dust Collector Metal Duct Work question

Ok, this seems like a dumb question and one with an easy answer but after searching the web for several hours and reading numerous articles I am unable to find it. What is the metal duct used for dust collection systems?
Is it simply single walled stove pipe? If so, is it possible to buy it in like 10' lengths. Any recommendations as to where to buy it?
PVC costs much less, especially the fittings.
"Mark Brubaker" < snipped-for-privacy@brubam.com> wrote in message
Yes it is single walled pipe. Depending on the diameter, 10 ft sections will work just fine if it is strong enough to keep from collapsing from the DC vacuum. 24- 26 gauge is recomended. Wide radius elbows will work more efficiently than standard adjustable fittings. You can usually find what you need at sheetmetal supply houses or even some well stocked hardware stores. The big box stores mostly stock only 28-32 gage pipe. This is ok for blowing air but not for sucking. I have seen even large diameter 16 gauge pipe collapse from high vacuum in industrial systems.
Mark Brubaker wrote:

Wood Workers Supply has a nice assortment of pipe and fittings. It looks like it's galvanized steel. They have the long sweep elbows and blast gates.
Tom in KY, Is it just me or is it really slow tonight?
If you looked for hours, you need to work on your Google search strings. Plug in:
dust collector pipe "metal pipe"
to the google search box and get 600,000+ hits. Here's a couple of the more interesting ones.
http://www.plasticsmag.com/features.asp?fIssue=Nov/Dec-01
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Ducting.cfm
Regards, Roy

haven't looked. It was only a few dollars for a 8' (I think) length. It comes flat and the sides lock together. 5" DC fittings fit fine.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Ducting.cfm#Pipe http://www.oneida-air.com / http://www.pennstateind.com/store/duct.html http://www.grizzly.com/products/items-list.aspx?key0080&sort=price
Having given some supplier links that will ship to you, you really should look locally. You might find metal ducting at a supplier HVAC components. PVC pipe like 2729 Sewer and Drain pipe is another option. Too thin metal ductwork may collapse if hooked to a large enough dust collection system. I believe 26 guage is the minimum recommendation.

to use for dust collection. Many many people are quite pleased to use S&D (sewer and drain) PVC pipe for a home dust collection system. Its cheap, easy to assemble and the fittings are readily available in many larger Lowe's and Home Depot. Be sure you get S&D instead of sched 40 pipe. S&D fittings are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of PVC pipe fittings.
Bob
Do you need to worry about static arcing with plastic pipe?

The answer is no. Used it for years. DAGS and you will see thousands of topics on the subject. Dave

Yes, but not much. It will _NOT_ explode. It may annoy you.
Worst of all is metal fittings (such as elbows) linked by plastic pipe. Those are the worst for building up charge and zapping you. They probably should be given an external bonding wire.
Not to sound insulting but who in their right mind would use metal fittings with plastic pipe. For me personally, it is the outrageous cost of the metal fittings that have me using plastic in the first place. A $50 metal reducer costs $3 in PVC and forget about the price of an elbow or splitter. Now some people use metal waste gates as they are no all that much more (even at 3 times the price) but the cost of those other fittings just kill me and I need more of them then I would like.
"Andy Dingley" < snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com> wrote in message

I had two wacky bends that were done extremely easily with metal elbows. The elbows can be rotated to adjust the angles. The metal elbows were $6 vs. $3 ea. for PVC. I could have rigged it up with PVC, but that would have required multiple PVC fittings and time.
Most of the rest of the system is PVC, except for some metal flex pipe on movable drops for a drill press / spindle sander and router.
I hear ya' on the cost of metal reducers and junctions!
Barry
:>Do you need to worry about static arcing with plastic pipe? : Yes, but not much. It will _NOT_ explode. It may annoy you.
I've hard of one case where the persongort a REALLY nasty shock. You're right that there's no danger of explosion, but receiving a large shock is a different matter.
    -- Andy Barss
hi mark
I have just installed a metal pipe system in my shop after agonizing over pvc or metal. The metal comes in two types one expensive(professional use and thick galvanized seam-less and heavy) and the other that looks similar to HVAC pipe but is thicker and make for woodworking dust collecting ducting.living near Baltimore md I purchased the pipe at a local supply house (Scarrie Inc.) although a bit more expensive It works for me.
Len

It can be, but it typically comes in 5' sections in my locale.

Home Depot, Lowes, and plumbing and heating suppliers sell it here in New England.
I mostly use PVC pipe, but have several drops that use stove pipe for various reasons, like I found some for free. Flexible metal 4" a/c or dryer vent pipe makes an excellent pickup around drill presses and other open tools. You can bend it into position, change the position, and deform the mouth to best fit the application.
Barry

What does "stove pipe" cost locally? I make woodstoves and buying stove pipe is one of my major costs - stuff is a frightening price hereabouts (UK).
OTOH, I can have my dust collector elbows custom rolled to my choice of sizes for a very good price. Don't fool around trying to make complicated branches here - get the pro with the rolling machine to do it, it's not that expensive.
26 gauge metal duct is what you want.
The best deals I've found are: hvacommerce.com - 26 ga, 5" duct, $5.66 / 5 ft pennstateind.com - "economy" 26 ga fittings
Thanks for the advice, I happened to find pennstateind.com just before I read your post.