dust collection ducting

Page 5 of 5
leonard wrote:

I have the same sized dust collector from Penn State and I've got my table saw (high and low) hooked up to it, a RAS, a floor sweep plus another outlet to hook up tools I use occasionally, such as the jointer or planer. My tubing is a combination of 4" PVC and 4" corrugated hose along with various elbows, wyes, and blast gates. Works really well.... BTW, get a remote control if you haven't already.
I'd bought an air cleaner first and had I known then what I know now, I'd have bought the DC and been done with it. As it is, I hardly ever turn on the air cleaner.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
in a nutshell
use 6" ducting use sewer and drain for solid runs - works good and is cheap use 6" flex hose for very short runs
i'm using the advice there, making my own blast gates, and so far, i'm very happy
i have the jet 1.5hp w/ canister
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:02:35 -0500, "leonard"

you
how
I have the 1HP Griz - the 8029. Just switched over to about 20' total of 4" S&D PVC pipe. 20' run is with one 90* elbow. 4 "Wye's", 4 blast gates. Small runs of 4" Flex hose to each machine. Only one gate open at a time. Works great.
thanks guys, I have read the grounding post before.And have consulted my wife the (PHD in electrical engineering) also about the grounding and she say not to. What I'm trying to pick is the material to use as ducting, pcv, havc or special made spiral duct, ect. I have Six machines to hook up and a floor sweep with 1 1/2 hp dc(with a chip collector).
Len

And did your PhD wife comment on the pvc grounding technique in the archives? ;-)
Whatever you plan to do for ducting, figure a chip seperator into your plans. A barrel, some S&D fittings, and a chunk of plywood for a lid, and cleaning the system gets so much easier.
I used 4" S&D, with my 1.5hp Delta, because I could get it from the local hardware store. My hand tools make the biggest mess in the shop now.
Patriarch
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:22:05 -0500, "leonard"

Take a look at http://www.ShopTours.org Look specifically for Terry Hatfield's shop. Look at the gorgeous job he did piping with 6" PVC. For a while he was marketing a cyclone system based on Bill Pentz' data. For an email addy (I'm sure he'll be happy to answer some questions) go to http://www.woodcentral.com and look for one of his posts. He usually has his email addy in them.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

The problem with steel ducting is the cost of the fittings. They are a friggen rip-off and one 'Y' connector can add up to the total cost of a complete 4" PVC system. PVC works fine, is easy to use, strong, and is very cost effective.

snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com writes:

Hmmm. What if the die were a faulty manufacture? Remember, you referred to a six-side die which could have seven "spots" on one of those six sides due to a manufacturing error . . . or it could be intentionally made that way. Perhaps your statement of a zero chance of a seven should be restated to clarify that none of the six side have more than six "spots." ???
Glenna

the possibility of "faulty manufacture" was eliminated in the specifications -- it was stated that the _specific_ die being used was:
(a) a regular hexahedron -- this means that it has precisely SIX faces, no more, no less.
(b) had labels on the 6 faces that were from an 'enumerated list'. There were precisely SIX elements in the enumerated list. There is no 'room' for any other value.
(c) one that did *not* have 'spots' on it. The faces were labelled with Arabic numbers. "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", and "6", according to the enumerated list.
It *is* possible to have *A* die where you _could_ roll a '7' -- I've seen ones in the shape of a dodecahedron, and even an icosahedron. However, it is *NOT*POSSIBLE* with the die specified in the example. The mathematical probability of the event specified ('rolling a "7") with *that* die is _precisely_and_exactly_ ZERO.
Sorry, but the specifications of the example were 'deliberately and maliciously constructed' in a manner such as to eliminate such extraneous digressions. :)
writes:

Then it wouldn't be a six sided die anymore, case closed.

TBone wrote:

What if it were a six-sided die with faces numbered 6 through 11?

Then it wouldn't meet the specifications of the original 'problem', and the probability analysis would not be relevant to that changed situation.
Next question? <grin>
Then you have once again changed the rules as the original die was labeled 1 thru 6 but even there, only 6 possibilities exist so a seventh one has ZERO chance.