dust collection ducting

When someone says "zero chance", that's an exposition of opinion, or hope, not facts.

Reply to
Gus

What are the chances of that bucket of water sitting in the garage bursting into flames?

Zero.

Not hope.

Not opinion.

Fact.

There is no mechanism known to man or supportable by any area of science that can give one scintilla of credence to the possibility of that bucket of water bursting into flames.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Well, since I can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed man, I'll sign off.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

LRod wrote: ...

Well, the conclusion of the article is to quote..

"...home shop DC explosions are somewhere between extraordinarily rare and nonexistent."

That is precisely zero...

While rare, railing at such extremes is just not warranted...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Oh, WELL. I stand corrected.

Given, however, that my point was that it was fruitless to expend resources in pursuit of "preventing" an occurance that is "somewhere between extraordinarily rare and nonexistent," it seems I've been vindicated.

Picking fly shit out of pepper over whether it's actually zero or just really, really close to it is to obscure the bigger truth.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

LRod wrote: ...

That could have been done in a much less combative way and in all likelihood been more effectively received...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Instead of arguing over this stuff, do what I do. before cutting or planing any wood, I spray it with Static Guard. So far I've never had an explosion.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed always has a common sense, Yankee way of solving problems.

I'm suprised Ralph Engerman hasn't weighed in on the static issue.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Not really.

Making statements like "zero chance" obscures truth very nicely.

That, and your "bucket of water" example was truly laughable.

Homer

Reply to
Homer

There certainly is. Electronic stores..(the BIG ones) often carry a spray which was developed to create a ground plane on the back of CRT's aka repairing TV tubes. I do not know, however, how well it would stand up to particulate matter flying by at the speed of sound ( well.. ahem..it COULD maybe go that fast...maybe not THAT fast...) If somebody just feels they HAVE to ground the frickin' thing..what about self adhesive aluminum tape, huh? Huh? on the OUTSIDE of the PVC? I see no reason to eliminate static charge build-up on the inside only. I have a plastic ShopVac that builds up enough static to suck the hair off my head on a dry day like today....I mean, the frickin' thing levitates and sticks to the wall like balloon!!! The air flow on the inside, builds up the static on the outside of the container.

Or... take a trip to:

your way by, stop in and have a coffee.

0?0

Rob

"Et tu, Spongebob?"

Reply to
Robatoy

Was it, or did you just not understand it? Please give the exact percentage chance for the said bucket of water bursting into flames.

Reply to
TBone

When I bought into this stuff, I used aluminum tape on the insides of the PVC pipes (2 strips on opposite sides) to prevent clogs and wrapped the outside with copper wire. It appeared to work since I never got zapped touching it (the pipe) but I believe it did little to prevent a fire since data clearly shows it to be just about impossible for it to happen anyway.

Reply to
TBone

The problem with steel ducting is the cost of the fittings. They are a friggen rip-off and one 'Y' connector can add up to the total cost of a complete 4" PVC system. PVC works fine, is easy to use, strong, and is very cost effective.

Reply to
TBone

I'd settle for a reasonable estimate. I'd bet a large amount of money the answer will have "zero" as part of it: "approaches zero," "nearly zero," "greater than zero, but..." are probabilities that come immediately to mind.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

4" SD pipe comes in 20 ft lengths. how'd you get the tape in there?
Reply to
bridger

you could get that bucket of water to make quite a nice big 'ol explosion- but you'll have to crack the oxygen from the hydrogen first. if you can do that in your garage, then I'm really happy I don't live next door to you.

Reply to
bridger

Yea, but then it wouldn't be water anymore.

Reply to
TBone

THAT is an accurate way of expressing it. Finally.

Reply to
Gus

The point is, bonehead, that the "bucket of water" example has nothing whatsoever to do with woodworking, dust collection, dust explosions, or anything else even remotely relevant.

Obviously, I cannot state, with certainty, the chances of anything bursting into flame. Nor can you. Conversely, you cannot state, with certainty, that something will "never" burst into flame. It's not a question of flammability but of precision in meaning.

Reply to
Gus

Apparently, bonehead, you think that the laws of physics are just suggestions. There are all sorts of certainties. Water not bursting into flame in your shop is one of them.

If you don't get the connection of that illustration to woodworking and the myth of the exploding home shop dust collection system, then you are apparently just skimming the posts to find something to argue about.