Dust collection with the Delta Drum Sander

I have a Delta Drum Sander and I've been using it with my big shop vac hooked to its dust collection port. The shop vac's filter clogs up so frequently that it is just not the way to go as far as dust collection.

I was thinking of the Grizzly G1163, their light duty 1 HP model--portable with the bag going off to the side. That is because I wanted to put it beside my table saw, under the rails, so I could use it for both the TS and the drum sander.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Would I be better off going with the Grizzly 8027, their 1 HP upright model? I conceive that I would only ever use it for those two machines.

See my shop layout at

Nancy A. Kroes

I have been using the 1 1/2 horsepower Grizzly dust collector with my Delta drum sander. I recently bought a much larger dust collector and discovered that the additional air volume and static pressure the new dust collector provided make a noticeable difference in how well the Delta drum sander works. It picks up the sanding dust off of the drum much better, the sandbelts are not as prone to cloging/burning, and the finished work is not as prone to burn stripes on the work surface. The sawdust residue that the smaller dust collector left on the work surface seems to be the cause of the problems I have described. I would advise you to buy the largest dust collector you can afford and to connect it up to the Delta drum sander with the shortest hose connections you can so as to maximize dust collection airflow around the rotating drum and work piece. The 1 1/2 hp Grizzly will work and provide adaquate performance. I am just saying that I was suprised at how much better the sander worked when connected to a larger dust collector.

Reply to
Joe Nation