Dust-bee-gone mask

I'm tired of not being able to see after a few minutes of wearing a mask and goggles, so I've started looking for something better. Mac davis made a suggestion a short time ago in another thread for the dust-bee-gone mask, so I've been looking at that.
I have both glasses and a beard, which is one reason mac's comments interested me.
Does anyone have any comments, good, bad or otherwise?
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote

I've use one, with both beard and shop glasses. Have two, but they're also washable. Pricey, but worth the price as I'm somewhat allergic to walnut dust/smoke and it has allowed me to use a lot of walnut.
Thumbs up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08
On 25 Sep 2008 12:35:43 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I really appreciate mine... It's the only mask that I can make myself wear..
Not much good for fine particles, but better than not wearing a mask..
Oh.. besides being (hand) washable, I use it damn in the summer.. Very refreshing and probably a bit more filtering..
Key thing is to follow their directions.. I know, nobody wants to RTFM, but if you follow your instinct on fitting, it will be too tight and not seal... MUCH more comfortable a bit loose and at the angles the instructions show..
The only time it fogged my safety glasses was when I had it too tight and the mask couldn't seal on my nose..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I wear glasses and the mask works the best of anything I currently have.
It is pricey but it can be washed and it does seem to stop most fine dust.
I also use a 3M "half mask" which isn't too bad, but still annoying for long periods.
If you are using a googles, I would try a full face mask for a while to see if you can deal with that.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p1226&cat=1,42207
Puckdropper wrote:

Many of the various face shields I've seen still recommend wearing safety glasses underneath. I'm guessing that's to meet ANSI/OSHA standards.
You'd still need the dust mask with the shield, right?
Puckdropper

I've got the Lee Valley face shield (link above) and I'd consider it only as protection from flying projectiles, small and not too big. When using the router and sometimes with the table saw, swirling saw dust gets in behind the face shield all too often. Ideally, one would want to use a face mask that seals against the skin or accompany the face shield with a dust mask and sealed eye protection of some sort.

I like the Triton positive air pressure space suit head piece, but it did cost a lot. Now my glasses stay clear, and my beard too.
--
Best regards
Han

Thanks for the suggestion, I just looked in to fan powered masks. They're a little more costly than my level of woodworking would seem to require.
I might change that opinion when we finally get some of the junk out of the garage so I can use my Christmas present lathe.
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote

Uhhh....., would that be this Christmas??
Or last Christmas?

Last Christmas... (looks away, ashamedly.)
Puckdropper

On 26 Sep 2008 13:03:06 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

If possible, borrow one first.. It's a great setup IF you use it..
My brother bought one but doesn't wear it as much as he used to, mainly for comfort and "suit up time" restrictions..
We should ALL be wearing ventilated face shields and such, but most of us are almost as lazy as I am, so we don't..
For me, the dust-bee-gone and safety glasses are a good compromise, as I will wear them, while my face shield looks down at me from a shelf and my respirator is in a dust-free drawer.. ;-[
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
That is an excellent description of how most folks think and work.
mac davis wrote:

Yep.. and I'm guilty of it, Pat...
Now, if I was doing a lot of router work like you do, I'd try really hard to wear hearing protection, though..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

How much is "cost a lot"? Got a link to their website? I'm guessing that after I find out what they cost, I won't complain near as much about my face shield, dust mask and eye protection.
wrote in message

I've still got the browser up... it'll only take a second to retrieve the Woodcraft product page.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidU11&mode tails#tabs
Puckdropper

Thanks Not as expensive as I thought. I had visions of $2000 or thereabouts.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:35:43 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

I don't have a beard, but I do wear glasses. I've got a dust-bee-gone that I've been using for 15 years or so. If it fogs your glasses, you've got it on wrong (probably too tight).
I know a lot of woodworkers that use one and I've never heard a complaint, except about the price. And if I amortize the cost of mine over 15 years, that doesn't seem a valid complaint :-).

I came across a few complaints looking through Google Group archives, but most everything recent has been positive. I'll probably give it a try.
Thanks
Puckdropper

Well, now that you've got me thinking about it, I have a 3M OSHA helmet that I modified years ago for blowing snow up on an open 60 HP tractor. I wear glasses and when the wind-driven snow blows my way, my glasses not only fog up, but get covered in snow. I didn't have the backpack filter system, so, I added an axial heater and axial blower to the intake of the thing. In that case, I used 12 volt stuff and plugged it into the cigarette lighter socket on the tractor. It worked fine. Now that you point out the issue, I think I could update it to 120 volts, skip the heater and have the problem solved. ----It's the kind of helmet that would be used for sandblasting and grinding in industrial applications.