Dual Drill ??

I was wondering if anyone ownes a Dual drill and what do you think of it.. I understand you can look at them at www.dualdrill.com. I just a watched a deal on tv about them ,they look kinda cheap, and free batterys for life, yea right..but I would like to hear from you guys. Thanks Tom
Add pictures here
βœ–

Haven't used one so don't have any practical experience, but on first glance it looks like a really dumb idea and just a gimmick with excessive mechanics needed to accomplish a simple bit change. There's a multitude of magnetic and otherwise simple bit changers available for the drill market so this idea seems outlandish at best. Just my opinion of course and others my vary, but I can't see it doing very well in the market, free batteries or otherwise ~ certainly not in the professional or experienced home owner market.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Compared to most drills, it looks enormous in size.
Add pictures here
βœ–
A quick change hex shank bit holder would seem like a much more practical and rather less expensive way to work. The Dual Drill doesn't get past "cute" in my book.
J.
TOM MOORE wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 05:04:56 -0500, in rec.woodworking, TOM snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (TOM MOORE) wrote:

The "free replacement batteries for life" offer has some "small print":
-------- When your Dual-Drill™ battery wears out, simply send it back to us and we'll send you a new battery, and all you pay is processing and handling. --------
I suspect that the undeclared processing and handling fee (what's the difference?!) will mean that their "free" offer could turn out to be rather expensive.
Forrest
--
Forrest Anderson snipped-for-privacy@military-researcher.com
Edinburgh

Add pictures here
βœ–
For $120?? I think you can do a lot better with a Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, etc or even Ryobi and deal with quick change bits. What is the warranty for the tool itself? Will you be able to get a battery in a couple of years? It only does 550 RPM. It sounds like it comes with only one battery.
Steve
http://bosch.cpotools.com/cordless_tools/cordless_drills/33618-rt.html --- see what you can get for about the same money with two batteries. You won't wear this one out any time soon. http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productidU96 --- or this
.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Well, I haven't torn one apart for inspection but common sense suggests to me that what they've had to do to the gearing to allow the swivel/click feature must have weakened that aspect in some fashion. I'd avoid it and go with a decent drill and a quick-change or flip bit.
FoggyTown
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks Guys I guess I had better just pass on that one... Tom
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 05:04:56 -0500, TOM snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (TOM MOORE) wrote:

Call me a cynic, but the first clue on something like this is that it's in an infomercial (and "not sold in stores." Why not? I've always wondered.).
The Little Giant is the notable exception in that genre. Of course they were around on the trade show circuit for a long time before Robin's butt appeared on TV.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
βœ–

You can add the Fein Multimaster to the good merchandise infomercial list also.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 05:39:08 GMT, "Leon"

How about the George Foreman grill? <G>
It eventually made it all the way to major department stores. Ours gets used 2-3 times a week. The most important thing is to remember to keep your foot out of it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gee, they should put a warning label on those. "WARNING: Do no put favorite body appendages in grill." Prevent Darwinian awards from being handed out with their product name in them... Course, half the time, those labels just give stupid people ideas, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Clint

βœ–

... snip

Problem is, there is just no way to predict all the ways people can mis-use something and if you did, there would not be enough room on the product to even see the product (take a look at ladders). The old saying, "You can't make something absolutely idiot-proof because idiots are just so darned clever" seems to hold pretty true.
βœ–

The foot thing was a reference to a comedy show. <G>
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ahhh... Here I was thinking a DAMHIKT moment. Which kind of surprised me, as I figured a wood-worker who was that stupid would no longer be able to type. At least, not with his fingers...
Clint

βœ–
βœ–