Drum sander opinions

Greetings All, I am looking to buy either the Delta 31-255X or the Powermax 16-32 Plus unit. Both are available at Amazon, $900(US) for the Delta and $1000 for the Performax (not including a $100 rebate). I think the Delta has a rebate program going (again) for the X5 line of $100 for a single machine, dropping the Delta price to $800. Reading the reviews at Amazon doesn't help much, both machines have people who hate and love their respective machines. Do any of you out there in Wreckland have any opinions? Many TIA, Mark
Mark,
Do a Google search in this forum. This topic has been discussed ad nauseum over the years.
Bob

How does one do a Google search within the NG?

Click on groups. Type in rec.woodworking. <enter> In the box just left to "search this group" type in your search parameters. <enter>
Go to www.google.com and click on "Groups" then select the rec.woodoworking and type in a search string or just go directly to http://groups.google.com /.
Opinions of drum sanders has been asked many times.
Dave Paine.

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 07:37:00 -0500, the blithe spirit "Rick Samuel"
Goto http://www.google.com / Select "Groups" Select "Advanced Group Search" Put "rec.woodworking" in the group field. Select any other limiters you want in the rest of the fields.
Voil!
.-. Better Living Through Denial --- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 07:48:03 -0700, Larry Jaques

That's "voil", with a grave accent! The acute accent is only used on "e" in French. Sheesh, what they teach kids these days.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Mark L. wrote:

Fact #1 - with either, you will need to extend the table if you ever intend to sand boards of any length.
Fact #2 - Performax table is fixed, head goes up and down
Fact #3 - Delta table goes up and down, head is fixed.
Question - which do you think is easier to fit with table extensions?
-- dadiOH ____________________________

Fact#4 Delta table which raises and lowers is heavy cast iron supported by four posts. drum head is a fixed welded steel assembly.
Fact#5 Performax table is sheet metal and the drum head is in a cast aluminum slide mechanism.
Question - which do you think will deflect the most and which do you think will provide the closest thickness tolerance near to far side of the board.
I already know the answer.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Hey Frank, I've heard reports that the next larger Performax is more ridgid that the 16-22. Any comments?
Dave

You mean than the 16-32?
No comment on the larger unit. I'm not familiar with it. I witnessed deflection tests comparing the 16-32 Performax and the 18-36 Delta at introduction of the Delta unit. Delta won with inside edge to outside edge thickness differential much lower than Performax. And the Delta unit held that tolerance all through the thickness adjustment and regardless of the width of the board, while the Performax unit had to be tweaked as you changed the width of the board.
This was a few years ago and I can't comment on any improvements that might have been made to Performax.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

oops, yeah I meant 16-32! I'd read somewhere that the larger performax units were beefier and therefore maintained parallelism better.
Dave
Frank Boettcher wrote:

I have no problem keeping the edges of 16" panels the same thickness. And I can run any length panel too since I have loooooong in/out feed tables. :)

You can get the 22-44 without a stand for about $1000 (or you could 12 months ago, when I got mine - I had no floorspace, but available bench space).
They're a bit tricky to get exactly parallel to the table, but once set, they work pretty good.