Dropped the motor to my Delta TS

Hello,

I had an unfortunate accident where I dropped the motor from my Delta table saw (1 1/2 hp contractor saw 36-444) on the floor in the shop. I dropped it on the opposite end to the shaft/pulley. Now I have an issue with the motor. With the motor attached to the back of the table saw, when I place the belt on the pulley, and power on the saw (as in normal operation), the motor won't spin up and the protective circuit on the motor trips. However, with no load on the motor, it will power on and spin up with no problem.

I am able to use the saw by powering on the motor and letting it spin up to speed, then slowly lowering it onto the belt. The saw cuts wood with no problem once the motor has come up to speed.

Does anyone know what part of the motor got damaged when I dropped it that would cause this behavior?

Thanks very much.

Reply to
RCP127

Does the motor have an external fan? If so, you can remove the fan housing on that end and check for something binding. Sometimes the fan will get knocked so that it rubs the housing. Without the belt attached, can you feel friction when the shaft is turned?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I don't think that is the problem or it would make noise once it is running. I think that either you damaged the capacitor, a wire came loose from the capacitor, or if it is a RI motor the brush plate inside moved. If you take the end bell off and there is a plate that can rotate when loosened, you have to realign the marks. max

Reply to
max

I agree.

If you are unfamiliar with doing motor repair, take it to a motor rewind shop and have them check it out.

You are probably looking at the minimum charge to get the motor inspected and repaired.

BTW, start saving your pennies for a new motor.

Took me less than 6 months to burn up that cap start, cap run motor supplied as original equipment.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks very much for the replies and information. I'll check out the motor tomorrow for these things.

Reply to
RCP127

If you end up needed a new motor, look on ebay. I bought a 1.5 HP,

1725 rpm single phase for about $60.
Reply to
Larry Bud