Drill Press Table

Well, I bought a Ridgid floor mount drill press a few years ago. It served my meager needs well until just recently when I discovered I needed a drill press table and fence. The problem I ran into is that the chuck is actually mounted lower than the lowest travel of the handle. This limits me to a very short fence. Otherwise, when I start to lower the chuck, the handles hit the fence. I suspect I can replace the factory handles with something shorter, so that I can have a taller fence, but I am wondering if that will cause some unforeseen difficulties.
Have any of you had a similar problem and how did you resolve it?
Thanks, Ralph

Sears radial press with 3-spoke handle. Unscrew the spoke that gets in the way.

I made my fence asymmetrical, higher on the left side and very low on the right. The fence [for me] is usually only for horizontal positioning, but where I want to use it to align something vertically, I just align the left side and trust the right side not to twist!

Notch the fence
On 12/20/2010 12:16 AM, Ralph wrote:

A drill press fence works fine 99.99% of the time if is only 3/4" high.
IOW, make the fence shorter ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I had a delta benchtop that had the same problem. I notched my (high) fence.
I also had a low fence (ie a simple board)
You can also cut the handles and remount the knobs by gluing them back on with epoxy. Use heat on the shaft before cutting to remove the knobs if they don't screw off.
On 12/20/2010 1:16 AM, Ralph wrote:

I cut my handles & re threaded both ends and used those long nuts they sell where you buy all thread rod at big box.
Jerry

Usually the handles unscrew and all the ones I've seen have an oridinary bolt thread on the end, maybe 5/16-18 or 3/8-16 or metric in that size range. I never really gave it much thought before, but my old Delta 11-280 has a handle like a vise does, that slides through from one side to the other. The 11-280 is a radial drill designed for woodworking. I guess those old designers knew what they were doing.

I've unscrewed the handle that interferes.
Luigi