drill bits

Ok guys how do you store your bits manly spade bits forsners and auger bits the rest you can just drill holes in a piece of wood for pitcher would be a big help thanks in advance
Jim
A MAN WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS CAN SURE SCREW THINGS UP
JAMES Mankin wrote:

spades store in a snaplid plastic box which gets swapped around to whichever canvas drill motor bag I'm using at the moment.
forstners are in a fitted plastic case, but that won't last too much longer as I already have a few odds ones out.
I built a 3-drawer cabinet with tall drawers, low sides. The corners are hand-cut dovetails and knobs are turned dogwood--mainly did this to practice but it did become a nice "furniture" piece. The drawers have removeable bottoms--3/4" thick stock with drilled holes and 1/4" ply glued to the bottom which allows me to reomove the contents if needed. The cabinet helps prevent rust. In my younger days, I started out with just a scrap of 2x4 with drilled holes in it.
On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:43:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JAMES Mankin) wrote:

thanks for the ideas guys the drawers are the way I was thinking I have great grand dads machinist chest that he stored all his bits in lose not he best ideas to keep them sharp my work bits are kept in roll up pouches in the tool box east to take from job to job hey philsman how about so pics of your cabinet sounds like a very nice piece
jim
A MAN WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS CAN SURE SCREW THINGS UP
On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:40:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JAMES Mankin) wrote:

but he can screw them up better and more expensively...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
sorry about the miss spell on the name Phisherman
A MAN WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS CAN SURE SCREW THINGS UP
I can't do help much with larger bits, but at my school shop we have hundreds of regular bits, most in fairly common sizes, and have one of those 64 drawer plastic storage units. Each drawer is labeled with a bit or tap size.
I have a bench model drill press mounted on a movable bench. The bench has a shelf and a drawer. All my straight bits I store on the shelf in indexed plasic or metal boxes. The few extras I have are in the drawer. My spade bits are in the drawer. There are also some forstner bits & miscellany in the drawer. Have fun. Joe
JAMES Mankin wrote:

Quick & dirty is hole slightly larger than shank in 1X2 with space 'tween for spade and forstners. Also store plug cutters on same strip.
On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:43:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JAMES Mankin) wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:43:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JAMES Mankin) wrote:

for storage in the shop, I use a shop tacked-together 4 drawer cabinet... drawers are 12" wide and only about 8" deep..
for each drawer, i drilled 3/8" holes in a piece of 1x2" and then cut it down the middle, to make holders for them...
Here's the case I built for my spade bits. http://www.avercy.com/knothole/projects-misc01.htm