Drawing

Grok that.

I think she wants to expand our knowledge of perspective. She has all sorts of interesting little chore drawings in the book. I have the older version, 1st ed, I believe.

Too many women, so little time...

Ooh, tacky!

You'd rather be wooddorking than myoping around, eh?

-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had to look "grok" up in the dictionary to see which side you were on! I was someone surprised to find the word.

Sounds like fun. I generally like "graded" exercises.

You could even sketch people grok'ing if you want...

There I was apologizing, then I noticed... That's really terrible! ;)

Maybe you need to type a taping glass???

Reply to
Bill

Maybe you can tell them that you draw temporary-tattoos... That way you can try to kill two birds with one stone... lol Sorry, maybe I'm getting a little carried away... Actually after I turned off the computer yesterday, I seated one of my wife's stuffed animals and sketched it. I hope your subjects are ..emmm... less furry! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Now read the book. It's marvelous! Everything by Heinlein was excellent. _Stranger in a Strange Land_

As we say in AA: Some are sicker than others.

Thet's "focking", sir.

Three question marks? Tres gauche.

-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

UNbearded clams are my favorite. (find -that- one in your dictionary)

BTW, Google has a quicker-than-a-dictionary lookup service. Type in 'define: ' and your word (define: grok) and come back with much more context than a dictionary.

P.S: I thought you didn't do animals...

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, I started by reading about it (at Amazon). Sounds interesting! "Engineering Drawing" arrived in the mail today. Still need to finish putting together by BS--and then my lights! So many challenges so little time... I got side-tracked a little by researching how to move table saurs 200 miles (that topic has already been adequately discussed elsewhere).

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

When I need a reference, I mostly refer back to my trusty Fundamentals Of Engineering Graphics. Cecil Jensen and Fred Mason McGraw-Hill Ryerson. ISBN 0-07-54929

It was previously called Drafting Fundamentals. My original 1967 copy was replaced in 1988. It is seriously dated from a CAD perspective, but still a good book when it is time to come back down to earth.

Reply to
Robatoy

I chose an edition (1966) without CAD on purpose, so the 30-40 year old technology wouldn't distract me from the ideas I selected the book for. The "constructions" (compass/triangle/straight-edge) are intriguing, and it looks like the book will show me how to "print" my characters and digits all over again. Looks like I'll have a 2nd chance to improve my (lefty) handwriting. :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Nice to know. Thanks.

I think I said I wasn't interested in *reading* about how to draw them. in high school I spent a lot of time drawing fish (like trout and bass). I did an oil painting of a moose back then that I'm still have pride in (LOL). It's Definitely Not that I draw animals so well. I think I can eke out an outline of just about anything you put before me at that level of mediocrity that I described earlier. But I am not seeking to invest time and energy in sketching beasts and fishes now. Not even relatives!

Reply to
Bill

If you would care to see something similar, with even more hp behind it, visit:

type in say:

1) integrate sin(x)

or

2) your first name

or

3) population of Lansing

or something else...

Reply to
Bill

: I don't think I've seen many threads on drawing/sketching here.

: A point of view I'm considering is that it's difficult to "design" : anything without being able to sketch. Thus I've developed some interest : in improving my skills in this area.

Same with me. I can draw and draft pretty easily (old style) for a front-on view of things, but I am going to brush up on my perspective skills to do other views. I've played with Sketchup, but it sems terribly slow for doing an initial quick mock-up of a design idea. The book I coincidentally bought yesterday seems quite good: Perspective Without Pain, by Phil Metzger. It's quick and has practice drawingsof various things, including boxes, tables, arches and cylindrical objects.

: Coincidentally, the newest issue of FWW, which arrived a few days ago, : contained an article encouraging "old fashioned formal drawing", on $38 : paper (containing perspective lines...), using a a t-square and a : drawing board and addititional wasted $ for tracing equipment, etc.. : IMO, I almost feel like the author should apologize in the next issue : and show how to do everything better, faster and cheaper on SketchUp!

I plan to try (once again) to learn Sktchup at some point, but I need to be convinced it isn't a slow way to get the same result.

: Ironically, I wouldn't say SketchUp is for sketching as I have used the : term above.

My experience as well.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Without Pain, by

I hadn't run across that book. Based upon what I was able to browse, it looks like a really good choice. One reviewer said that the title "lied", which I don't think is a bad sign in this case.

Well, based upon my experience, it will be ALOT Slower at first. Then, after watching twenty something video lessons, putting in a few dozen hours or practice,and maybe reading a book (not necessarily in that order), it will be ALOT Faster.

I think if you play around with it like a toy, rather than needing to get work done, it will come faster. For my practice, I regularly used SU to create a simple house with a roof, door, window, etc., starting from scratch every time. I suspect I can make one in under a minute now. One can furnish it from the Google Warehouse. Somehow then it becomes more time-consuming (resizing, rotating,...), but I'm becoming more adept at that too. I'm sure I'll learn something new about SU on every project I try.

I believe Leon and Swingman are the SU experts here. Someone here will surely try to help you if you get stuck.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Look it up online at your local library.

Your wife reads these, does she?

I wrestled Dina into the bed of my truck with a rope and comealong, then dropped her the same way. She was lighter, at #300 or so. Pickup and drop time took maybe ten minutes, including rigging.

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, I couldn't get her to look (for some reason).. As you turn the pages, published in 1966, you can practically feel an important era being reborn--I was just barely born myself. I have, just

10 feet away, the drafting set pictured in fig. 2.20, page 27. I also know that my dad would expect me to take darn good care of it! That was a good lesson from dad: "Take care of your tools". Also they are no good if you don't know where they are: "Put them back when you're through with them!"

Bill

Reply to
Bill

If you mean, does she read my newsgroup posts, then no. She has her own computer and is more of a Facebok than a Usenet user. I crossed over my normal boundary line in telling her about the green walnut crotch...that ought to keep her away from here for good! lol ; )

Reply to
Bill

Excellent advice.

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you talking about a saw or your last date? ;-)

Reply to
Nova

-------- Which could explain why Larry is single.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Dina, my 1920s tablesaur from Hollywood, CA, of course. I won't even entertain the thought of that other possibility, you venomous vixen bastid, Yack. Petite is where it's at. Young Lucy Lawless was one exception. You can keep your Rosie O'Donnels to yourself, thankyouverymuch. Ewwwwww!

3 lists, w/ overlap:
and
and
Any of these ladies would do just fine. Look at Nia Peeples at age 50!
(Ouch!, 2550x3300 pixels, not optimized, but you can see her pores and nary a wrinkle. She's amazing.) [quick topic change] This just in:
Let's build one!

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Really, if it is THAT hard to get a girl to go out on a date....

Reply to
Robatoy