Drawing

Do you need a offset in a coal fire chimney flue to make it draw or is it just an old wives tale? ..

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Never heard it. Can't see any physical reason. My woodburner one just goes straight up.

Reply to
newshound

+1 In my last property, SWMBO wanted to replace the existing open fireplace with one raised up about 12", which meant the whole fireplace and flue had to be moved a similar distance to one side (don't ask!), which in turn meant altering the flue from dog-leg to straight up. No obvious disadvantages, and with the advantage that with the aid if a suitable mirror and torch you could look all the way up the inside and see whether it needed sweeping.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

old wives tale.

Thr critical thing is that the cross sectional area of the flue immedaitely above the fire should be no less than 1/4 andf preferably

1/3rd of the aperture that feeds the fire...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

fairy nuff .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

was thinking that ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Seems to be completely incorrect, rather than an old wives' tale

I suppose an offset would help reduce rain coming down the chimney, which might have some benefit as a damp chimney is a cold chimney.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

See :-

For more information than you could possibly need. (Americans seem to get a bit carried away with chimneys for some odd reason).

Search for "Smoke Shelf" if it isn't enough.

Most these days seem to consider them to be unnecessary as others have said.

.

.

Reply to
Peter Parry

very true...I once thought that if the offset was smaller in cross section the flow would increase .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Cue Frank Sinatra singing There's a Flaw in my flue? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd guess it's more to stop rain etc getting direct access?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)