Drawing

Page 2 of 6
RonB wrote:

My dad, as a civil engineer, produced drawings like that. Here's a subtle illustration that someone may possibly understand. When he was 'promoted' to "The City Engineer" he moved his drafting table with him into his new office. I realize that is a complex illustration and you either understand it or you don't. I don't mind sharing the story because I think it illustrates passion.
Bill (jr)
Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry, Well, I got the DP installed on the base board up to the point in the instructions where two people are required to lift the head on the pole. I'll try to find a willing victim--I mean helper, tomorrow. Progress is good.
Bill

When I flipped my Griz 18" bandsaur up onto its stand, I used a milk crate as a lever. The heavy old girl went up with just one guy. Now, I'd have considered my engine hoist to lift 'er.
G'luck finding a victim. You're making better-than-bowsaur time with it. ;)
-- "The history of temperature change over time is related to the shape of the continents, the shape of the sea floor, the pulling apart of the crust, the stitching back together of the crust, the opening and closing of sea ways, changes in the Earth's orbit, changes in solar energy, supernoval eruptions, comet dust, impacts by comets and asteroids, volcanic activity, bacteria, soil formation, sedimentation, ocean currents, and the chemistry of air. If we humans, in a fit of ego, think we can change these normal planetary processes, then we need stronger medication." --Ian Plimer _Heaven and Earth: Global Warming, the Missing Science_

My experience agrees with this. I spend quite a bit of my planning time sketching things based on what little I learned in high school about drafting. I keep a spiral bound notebook around the shop so I can have something to draw/sketch/figure on. (Other than the workbench. ;-))
Often, I'll only bother with showing the interesting (complicated) part of the piece I'm working on. No need to show the joinery on all four corners when it's all the same.
Puckdropper
On 6/13/2011 9:22 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Strange phenomenon, may be not as practice makes perfect. I also found that my script hand writing improved dramatically as a result from all the structured lettering required in the mechanical and architectural classes.

Whoa! Mine sure didn't. I was born left-handed and teachers tried to "fix" me. The last teacher who tried that had her ass reamed by Mom after she put me in a metal hand brace to hold the pencil. I was so frustrated when I got home I was still crying. Mom fixed her wagon. ;)
Anywho, after that, the only thing I wrote in cursive script was my signature. Everything else is block. When I write script, I tend to squeeze the writing instrument into submission, smearing lead or ink all over the page, still thinking about that damned teacher and her metal brace.
-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb
On 6/14/2011 9:09 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

A teacher made my left-handed daughter write right-handed. Upshot is that she is basically now ambidextrous with regard to most tasks.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Similar misguided teacher but even worse--this one wanted all the tablets lined up the same way on the desks as she looked at them so forced me from the correct way as left-handed to the upside-down crabbed thing one sees fairly often w/ those who aren't taught correctly.
Still suffer from it--by time Mom figure out what was going on, I was seemingly beyond recovery despite having tried to break the habit over the years.
I'm pretty much ambidextrous--throw righty, write/eat lefty. Tore up shoulder in HS b-ball and taught self to write righty enough to get by until it healed enough to begin to use again...

It's good that she handled it well. Ambidexterity is a _definite_ bonus in life. As a mechanic, I had to learn how to thread a nut onto a bolt upside down, offhanded, and out of sight, while holding the flange with one finger, the washer with another, and the nut with the other two. One learns to think in 3 dimensions after doing a couple of those types of projects. It's great. I hope you encourage your girl to go for it!
-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb
"Leon" wrote:

--------------------------------- Interesting.
I put myself thru school working in drafting rooms.
Also had to submit engineering lab reports in printed format.
Got to the point where I could take notes faster printing than using script.
By the time I was 40, had totally forgotten how to form script letters.
To this day, I scribble my signature and print every thing else.
Lew

Ditto ... I find my cursive slower, and certainly less decipherable.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

I'll third that.
-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb

Ditto. My cursive is illegibubble... so I print, and at a pretty good clip too.
Robatoy wrote the following:

Wait. I come across stuff I have scribbled down on paper a week or so ago, and I can't read it. Years ago, people would tell me that I had the most readable notes.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 6/14/2011 12:40 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

As long as I was still doing both, both came out well. Girls used to be jealous. BUT once I stopped drawing and using the computer for CAD they both pretty much went down hill from there.

I'm a bit late to the party, but before computers became affordable, I did a lot 3D drawings, to scale, using "Lawson Charts" They were a little tricky at the beginning, but once it 'clicked', they were easy to use and the results spectacular. I created a couple of designs for which I needed funding, and the powers at be, the guys with their chequebooks didn't 'get' what I was trying to show them... till they saw it 3D. It is basically a series of charts with different vanishing points and angles of view, over which you lay your vellum or acetate (my preference was to draw on acetate). Google and you will get lots of info on those charts. They are everywhere and cheap. Here's some on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/3zzpd3e

There are a lot of good books on drafting and the one I would recommend, if you can find one, is "Engineering Drawing" by French and Verick (sp). I went through a pretty intensive two year course in Design Technology during the mid 1960's and this was the bible for drafting. This was board drafting with drafting machines or parallel bars, triangles, instruments, etc. I later went through company- sponsored courses in CAD and CATIA. The heart of understanding drafting, and creation of working drawings, is the understanding and practice of orthographic projection. I'll draw fire for this, but most of the young draftsmen and engineers who go through drafting today have no Idea what projection is. You have to control the layout, but the machine does most of the projection for you. Learning the basics of projection will give you a much better idea of how, and why, the various sides of an object relate.
I do shop sketches for most of my bigger projects on a drawing board in the basement that is equipped with an old, very stable parallel bar. I don't develop fancy drawings. Most of the shop sketches are on par with what we might call conceptual layouts; and my quality would probably drive my old instructors nuts. I am not even tempted to acquire a CAD package or even use Sketchup. I get a much better idea of how a cabinet or other project will fit together by thinking it through on the table.
Side Note: It used to drive my wife nuts when she would ask how big something was and I would hold my fingers apart and say 3-1/2" inches. She would respond that isn't 3-1/2"! I would hold the pose until she got a ruler and was usually pretty darned close. After several years on the drafting table, doing aircraft drawings by hand, I developed a pretty good micrometer eyeball. I have been off of the board for about 25-30 years but I still have a pretty good eye for sizes in the 0-36" range.
RonB
On 6/14/2011 6:33 PM, RonB wrote:

For some reason I'm that ways with thicknesses ... I can generally tell in a photo how thick a table top, leg, etc. is ... and am seldom off by an 1/8" in real life, but totally miss the boat with metric.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Every eighth of an inch is 3 mm; an inch is 2.54 cm; a foot is 30 cm; a yard 90 cm; a mile is a lot.
(in dutch speak)
--
Best regards
Han