Drawer in the end of a Table

Im building a table for a client of mine he now wants to put a 12 x12 x4" drawer to hold place mats in the end rail of the table So how do i keep a solid strength construction for the table if i need to put a drawer into the end rail? any ideas Connor
Connor Aston wrote:

Use boards parallel to the drawer sides tied into the cut apron by gluing/screwing to glue blocks on the back of the apron and into a cross piece (parallel to the drawer front placed beyond the drawer back) which is in turn attached to the aprons perpendicular to the drawer. Use the boards to attach drawer runners.

This is where you start thinking something other than wood to reinforce the thin apron. I have used 1/4" thick steel bars inset into dados to reinforce thin aprons.
Connor Aston wrote:

Connor, I am not sure I follow the question. Actually, I do but with the information given it is really hard to answer, without assuming a lot. What are you making the top out of? What is the type of construction for the legs? It seems that you need a stretcher somewhere, what keeps you from mounting the drawer below the stretcher?
Just trying to visualize the table the drawer is going into.
Deb
The drawewr IS the stretcher it wont hand below table wil have 5" maple square legs and mortice and tennons for connections. On Fri, 17 Feb 2006