Doweling jig or Pocket screw ?????

Page 1 of 2
What's the best system for making face frames. Mikey

Pocket Holes in my opinion. I have a review of the Kreg system on my site if interested. www.onlinetoolreviews.com
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo ------------------------------------------------------------
Pocket Screws hands down. Have not used a dowel since getting the Kreg jig. You won't regret it!!!

TDUP wrote:

Yeah, once you get the slippage problem handled.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
You MUST clamp any material prior to driving screws.
Kreg sells the proper face frame clamp designed for this purpose.
You can "sneak" one in on occasion but power driving a pocket hole screw will result in movement unless the material is clamped.
Mark wrote:

jig.
It's called a clamp. There was a nice shiny one in the kit I bought. Slippage problem solved.
todd

Did your pocket hole kit not come with a clamp and instructions?
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Yes, fact is it came with two clamps.
Sometimes things can't be clamped.

Mark

N.E. Ohio
Anything can be clamped.

Like what?
I've found that some things are difficult to clamp, but I've never seen something that CAN'T be clamped. <G>
Maybe we can suggest a method for the oddball situations?
Barry

If it can't be clamped... weld it.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

I've never used dowels, but it's hard to imagine them being any easier/faster to use than pocket screws.
todd

I bought the Kreg Pro Pack. Love it! I may never use my buscuit joiner again! Greg
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

I've been partial to the Kreg pocket hole system; but have been working on a locking lap joint that I like even better. I cut the first one today. It's still a bit rough; but you can see it at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/LLJ_040604.gif .
The joint in the photo was cut into a 2x4 (a bit large for face frames) because it was cheap and handy; but the joint could just as easily have been done in any size board...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

CW wrote:

I was out to the shop this morning to try out a new clamping strategy for these things. Time to ready workpiece: 11 seconds; time to cut a single joint in a 1x4: 39 seconds. I'm working to reduce the cutting time and think I'll be able to shrink it to 30 seconds or less per joint.
For all of that, speed isn't my primary goal. What I'm after is a really strong lap joint that requires no fasteners and can be assembled by unskilled people - and still be *perfectly* square every time.
An unlooked-for benefit is that the same joint can be used to splice boards end-to-end, which I don't think I'd care to try with pocket hole joinery...
I confess that I've never timed myself at the Kreg jig, but I honestly don't think it's actually any faster when joint assembly time is figured in.
You're right, it has kept me off the street and (more or less) out of trouble for several days now (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Hi, Rick.
You mean the cabinet bottom, or what are you keeping lined up with the biscuits? I've been looking for an excuse (er, I mean 'reason') to buy a biscuit cutter, y'see.
Dave Hinz
Clearly the mass of opinion favors pocket screws, and I agree that they are great provided: 1) you don't care about the ugly holes they leave, which is generally true for face frames and 2) you accept the fact that occasionally a screw will split the second member of the joint (no pilot hole is drilled).
Jay Knepper

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

3) You don't subscribe to the view that fine woodworking doesn't include metal fasteners of any kind.
I've got a few doweling jigs, including two old Stanley #59s (IIRC), and I like them.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?