Door Design

Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/02/12/worlds-most-awesome-door-reinvents-the-wheel/?utm_source edburner&utm_mediumed&utm_campaigned%3A+Ohgizmo+%28OhGizmo%21%29

No I believe in the kiss principle, that goes for fancy electronic lighting, door locks, plumbing fixtures and all the "wonderful" 21st century stuff for your home.
Mark

I don't see it as something I'd want, either, but it's not exactly "high tech". It's just ugly. ;-)
Of course, I'd like some of that "high tech" electricity stuff, sometime soon. :-(
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:55:17 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Pocket door without the pocket?
On 2/12/2014 3:25 PM, Meanie wrote:

It's an example of how a comparatively small slice of the population processes information differently than the majority.
It's an interesting concept, that Torrgler has worked out in several different variations.
http://torggler.co.at/
If you look at this as replacing a conventional door then you are missing the point, and that is rather normal.
I fall in the other group. In fact, I don't even see it as a door, and have mentally filed it away. I like it.
Jeff

"Jeff Thies" wrote:

I know it's not Cleveland, but how is the weather in Atlanta?
Lew
On 2/13/2014 12:56 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

It's a winter blunderland out there! About 1/2" of ice topped by perhaps a 1/2" of snow. Cold and very crisp, you can hear all the trains.
Power went out for about an hour. I must say that crews fixing the lines are doing a bang up job.
Raleigh, apparently is experiencing the same problem that befell Atlanta two weeks earlier. Snow came in early afternoon for them and they did the same thing Atlanta did, and created instant gridlock.
Here, this time, it was freezing rain early AM. Nobody was out (Atlantans know about ice storms and are afraid of them), and for the most part nobody has gone out. Traffic cams are full of empty roads.
Thanks for asking.
Jeff

Two weeks ago, it started raining here about the same time but everyone was (properly) gun shy this time. Most businesses called it the day before, as did government. The governor and Atlanta's mayor took a *lot* of heat and didn't want to make that mistake again. They did the right thing, this time.
"Jeff Thies" wrote:

Glad to see you are surviving.
Lew
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:56:05 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Lost power for 30hrs. It was 49F in the house this morning (the cats were trying to share our body heat ;). We didn't eat much yesterday (too cold to get out from under the covers for long) so went out for lunch. We're on the SW side of Atlanta so only had 1/4" of ice and a dusting of snow on top. the roads were fine. When we came home, about 4:30, the power had been on for about 45min and the house was warm(er). Back to work tomorrow.
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:20:51 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

We've only been in the house for a couple of years and haven't had any power outages at all but with Global Warming what it is, now, we gotta do something for backup heat. I may just put ventless gas logs in the fireplace (we'd have to put in LP).

Yikes.
It was 49F in the house this morning (the cats

Restaurants were very busy, I've heard.
I've thought a bit about emergency heat, although I have a very seldom used woodstove fireplace insert in a different part of the house.
Cleanest would be to get a propane cat heater, messier is to get some lamp fuel for kerosene lanterns. It's about 1000 BTU/hr for each lamp, a couple lamps could knock the chill off a room. White gas and a double mantle "coleman" lamp would probably toast you up.
Just a thought.
Jeff
We're on the SW side of Atlanta so only had 1/4" of ice and a

Yep. I've never been in a waiting line to get seated at 2:00 on a weekday before. I think they were missing staff, though. We had nowhere to go. ;-)

We'll probably put vent-free gas logs in the fireplace. SWMBO wants a the gas stove we had in our Alabama house, so we'll have to put LP in anyway. It won't be a huge issue because the basement is unfinished.
We used kerosene heaters in NY for emergency heat. Not so good. In VT we had a wood stove that would drive you out of the house if it wasn't below 10F, or so. ;-) We never lost power for any time, though. We're in a development now, too, but it's kinda out in the boonies.

oversized for my small house. It cooks you out of the house, you open the doors. The heatalator is very efficient, I can run it off a car battery and inverter.
--
Jeff

<snip>

I thought that may be the case, when you mentioned 30 hours! I'm *in* the city.
Pretty quiet for a corner lot as none of the other corners are occupied. One is a mother in law that the mother in law never came. One in rehab, and one that burned that I have maintained in a mostly woodsy manner, I rather like it! Woods on the periphery, blackberry fields down the block. Ah, city life!

Well, we're technically "in the city" but it's not Atlanta. ;-)

;-)
Our subdivision was half built when the '08 crash came and we're at the back edge of the development. There were only two houses back this far (set aside for full basements) and my lot backs to woods. The lots are all larger than 1.5acres so it's pretty quiet here. They're just getting back to building now (a house going up on one side, now).
On 2/14/2014 6:48 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Philly put charcoal grills in their home to heat it... Imagine?
--
Jeff

Darwin at work.

Jeff