Does anyone in the Group Like This Format?

me too... but I use Agent to access NG's through giganews, and some folks use their browser or outhouse express and come through free NG servers.. which in some cases is sorta like getting your news through Harbor Freight, you get what you pay for..YMMV

Reply to
mac davis

===================== I have been accused of being stuck in the past on a few occasions...BUT I sure as the devil have not noticed any change in the "format" ...whatever you mean by that ... of this newsgroup... I use Agent (free version naturally) as my news reader...

The only thing that I have noticed is that I can update any of my normal 20 or so newsgroups that I follow in seconds BUT it usually takes 2 to 3 times longer to update rec. woodworking...

message count does not seem to be the reason..

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Never thought to look; just always used Google since that's how I found the WrecK.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

Old Format, new format?

looks like the same old store to me.

Reply to
MikeG

Hello Group, Man, I am losing it I guess! I didn't do anything different today. I logged on and now, theway I have been seeing this news group is exactly the same as it was,except for there is no "New Beta" logo at the top. I'm not sure how or why my entire screen changed but it did! It's back and just the way I like it! Now I will need to investigate to figure out "how it do that". Thanks for your patience. I promise I'll get my meds checked! Michael

Reply to
mrmortise

Try out a newsreader... you might like it better. I rarely even use the "web"- too many ads and other bs. And, you can access alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking then, along with all the other binary groups (something Google doesn't support) It's just as easy as setting up an e-mail account.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Whatever it is you saw, or think you saw, it had nothing to do with the newsgroup itself. It sounds like you're using some kind of proprietary browser/reader thing through some service like AOL or something, and they changed the look and feel of it somehow.

This newsgroup is a part of Usenet or USENet or USENET or whatever capitals it's supposed to have. It's ancient technology dating back before the dawn of graphical user interfaces and other such froofery. I used to read usenet with a program called "rn" that made me read through every single article in a newgroup in series. It didn't do threading, it didn't let you preview the subject headers, or anything like that.

Usenet hasn't changed since those days. Only the face of the programs (or web interfaces, even) we use to access it. Plus all the irritating people posting HTML crap and top posting because they don't know any better, and all the spammers. I guess it's not the same as it always was, but the underlying technology still is.

Reply to
Silvan

Dear Group, Aha! it's simply the new group button. Try it and you'll see the difference. It all boils down to a personal preference. The new one doesn't show as many threads and, therefore, is limiting to me. I'll stick to the old thank you!

Michael

Reply to
mrmortise

For a while yesterday the search results for the newsgroups was the new beta format. They have now changed back to the original search results screen (well, not exactly - for those who were familiar with the original dejanews).

I did, and it appears a number of others did likewise, take the time to respond by e-mail to what looked to me like regression instead of progress.That may well be why the old Google search results format is back, at least for a while.

It is interesting that the total number of results returned on any given name was cut in half under the beta ... which may be academic because IIRC you can't get more than a 1000 results to display no matter the hits returned.

Reply to
Swingman

I think I'm missing a few posts as I look at this. I'm pretty sure there've been posts since Dec 1 and I'm not seeing them, so this may have already been mentioned. But here I go anyway.

Anybody click on "About this group" and then check out the "All time top posters" list? Congratulations, JOAT!

All time top posters

13154 snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net 8772 snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net 8106 snipped-for-privacy@diversify.com 8018 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com 5147 snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com 4657 snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com 4180 snipped-for-privacy@knight-toolworks.com 4019 snipped-for-privacy@snet.net 3731 snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com 3579 snipped-for-privacy@flash.net
Reply to
s2s

I read a book titled "If it ain't broke... BREAK IT!" Sometimes that's the only way something "acceptable" gets to be "exceptional".

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Yabut, not in this case. There is apparently no such thing that even approaches "acceptable" from the current crop of ADD web "designers" at places like Goggle ... where commercial opportunity takes precedence over content, and ''whiz, bang and glitter' takes precedence over the logical presentation of information.

Reply to
Swingman

Well then, maybe they should ask for their money back for what Google is charging them...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Think about 'who pays for the work', and then explain _why_ you are surprised at the priorities.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

No surprise at all ... twas merely an ongoing observation, based on perspective and participation (some willing, some reluctant, some forced), in a culture where the idea that pictures, once worth "a thousand words" will somehow be worth more and crowbar your wallet out of your pocket faster when flashing, when changing every 2 seconds, and when accompanied by sound effects not found in nature.

Reply to
Swingman