Does anyone in the Group Like This Format?

Page 2 of 2

Ummmm, yeah, those of us who looked at his headers already identified the problem and proposed some options for him.
MrMortise wrote:

Huh? It looks the same as always here.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
"> Yikes! What the *&%$# happened to our group format. ?????????????
Group Format?
I come in through the newsgroup servers. It has always looked this bad to me.
Kinda like it.

folks use their browser or outhouse express and come through free NG servers.. which in some cases is sorta like getting your news through Harbor Freight, you get what you pay for..YMMV

The format is the same, just a larger percentage of glass along with the gems.
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:08:37 -0800, MrMortise wrote:

Ah, marketing above all else. Read all about it:
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cidR8&e=2&u=/ap/20041202/ap_on_hi_te/google_groups
-Doug

Apparently, groups.google.com has changed it's web interface to Usenet groups. Depending on what kind of system you have, you've got lots of options to read Usenet that don't involve google's interface. What are you using for a computer?
Dave Hinz

occasions...BUT I sure as the devil have not noticed any change in the "format" ...whatever you mean by that ... of this newsgroup... I use Agent (free version naturally) as my news reader...
The only thing that I have noticed is that I can update any of my normal 20 or so newsgroups that I follow in seconds BUT it usually takes 2 to 3 times longer to update rec. woodworking...
message count does not seem to be the reason..
Bob Griffiths

Man, I am losing it I guess! I didn't do anything different today. I logged on and now, theway I have been seeing this news group is exactly the same as it was,except for there is no "New Beta" logo at the top. I'm not sure how or why my entire screen changed but it did! It's back and just the way I like it! Now I will need to investigate to figure out "how it do that". Thanks for your patience. I promise I'll get my meds checked! Michael
mrmortise wrote:

Whatever it is you saw, or think you saw, it had nothing to do with the newsgroup itself. It sounds like you're using some kind of proprietary browser/reader thing through some service like AOL or something, and they changed the look and feel of it somehow.
This newsgroup is a part of Usenet or USENet or USENET or whatever capitals it's supposed to have. It's ancient technology dating back before the dawn of graphical user interfaces and other such froofery. I used to read usenet with a program called "rn" that made me read through every single article in a newgroup in series. It didn't do threading, it didn't let you preview the subject headers, or anything like that.
Usenet hasn't changed since those days. Only the face of the programs (or web interfaces, even) we use to access it. Plus all the irritating people posting HTML crap and top posting because they don't know any better, and all the spammers. I guess it's not the same as it always was, but the underlying technology still is.
Dear Group, Aha! it's simply the new group button. Try it and you'll see the difference. It all boils down to a personal preference. The new one doesn't show as many threads and, therefore, is limiting to me. I'll stick to the old thank you!
Michael
"mrmortise" wrote in message

For a while yesterday the search results for the newsgroups was the new beta format. They have now changed back to the original search results screen (well, not exactly - for those who were familiar with the original dejanews).
I did, and it appears a number of others did likewise, take the time to respond by e-mail to what looked to me like regression instead of progress.That may well be why the old Google search results format is back, at least for a while.
It is interesting that the total number of results returned on any given name was cut in half under the beta ... which may be academic because IIRC you can't get more than a 1000 results to display no matter the hits returned.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

looks like the same old store to me.