Does a zero clearance insert need to be fasten down?

The insert that came with the saw has a clip at the back and a screw at the front. Does a zero clearance insert need those also?

I made mine out of 3/4" stock cause that is what I had and I can't imagine how it could move except straight up, but I know a 3450 rpm saw blade can do amazing things.

Reply to
Toller

I've made several out of birch plywood and not used any retainer clips or other things. Leveling screws are useful, but obviously not to hold it into the table saw. I've never had any problems with the inserts flying out. The main thing is to secure them when initially sawing the kerf hole. If you do that, the blade shouldn't ever touch the insert when in use.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I just put a brad (proud about 1/2") in the back of my insert. Hopefully if it (the insert) gets caught by the blade, rather than becoming a projectile, the brad will keep it seated and the blade will just cut the wood. Might not be needed, but what's a brad cost ;)

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

the original throat plate on my unisaw has a small nub at the rear that keeps the back of the insert from raising up. i make zero clearance inserts out of 1/2 inch lexan and make them with that same nub. it isnt that hard to do and it adds some safety to the mix. also the original does not have a hole in it to pick it up with in the front but mine do. i dont like reaching over the blade to push the rear down to remove it. i also use screws to level the plate. it takes a little fiddling to get em right but i only have to do it once. the original uses allen set screws that can be ajusted from the top but im too lazy to drill and tap the holes and too cheep to buy the allen set screws. :-]> skeez

Reply to
skeezics

All I have is a little wooden hook at the back. To remove the insert, I lift the front part and slide it forward a fraction of an inch. The "hook" is just half of a wooden popsicle stick glued in place.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yes, or the blade can tilt the far end up and out of the table socket for the insert, and possibly throw it at you

John

Reply to
John Crea

I don't, but I'm not sure if that answers your question. I've never had any indication that it was about to take off, but I know just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen.

-- Larry C in Auburn WA

Reply to
Larry C

Considering what a set screw might cost, that's pretty damn cheap. Sure your name's not Jack Benny? :-)

Reply to
kb8qlr (a.k.a. Mr. Cheap)

hehehehe. maybe so in a previous life!!!. accually i just didnt have them on hand but being cheep is more beleivable. :-]>

Reply to
skeezics